Sump Pump hose replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Sonofawhatthe

Reaction score
The homeowner is constantly beset by the attack of water! Today's chapter:

I couldn't figure out why I was hearing "air bubbles" in the pipes this morning. I assumed it was in the waste pipe for the sump pump but wasn't sure why. I opened the pit and found that the hose has a pinhole sized leak in it so water is leaking out before it hits the check valve. Obviously some good pressure too as it's blasting the other side of the pit.

So I'm going to replace the hose.. but I'm wondering if someone has some tips to make sure I do it right. I'm going to 1) find a bunch of old towels and rags 2) wait for an emptying cycle to complete 3) unplug the pump 4) pull the pump out of the pit 5) disconnect the drain pipe from the pump itself 6) pray that the backflow water all fits in the pit! 7) undo the clamps from the vertical pipe and chuck old hose aside 8) put clamp on new hose and snug it up the PVC. No pipe dope right? 9) put hose onto pump 10) put pump back in bit. 11) plug in 12) pray that I don't start leaking from the vertical pipe!

The pipe all told is roughly 42 feet long and I believe it's 1.5" PVC so that's ~4 gallons of water? And I have about 18" by 18" in the pit of clearance so I believe that's about 20 gallons before it tops out.

I'll need to work quickly because my pit will have the extra drain water in *and* it will continue to get the trickle water coming in from outside.

Okay. Pipe replace on two on two. Ready? Break!

Reach4

Reaction score
Often there is a small hole on purpose. See item 1 on http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ap/faqs

How much rise do you have? If your discharge hose is large enough and not blocked, I wonder how you are building a lot of pressure.

It sounds as if you maybe should keep a spare sump pump on hand, because yours seems pretty busy.

Sonofawhatthe

Reaction score
Often there is a small hole on purpose. See item 1 on http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ap/faqs

How much rise do you have? If your discharge hose is large enough and not blocked, I wonder how you are building a lot of pressure.

It sounds as if you maybe should keep a spare sump pump on hand, because yours seems pretty busy.

Thank you for the quick & valuable reply. That certainly fits the description of what I'm seeing. I will talk to the guy at the hardware store. If that's the case why haven't I heard all of this gurgling air noise before? Perhaps the check valve is leaking in addition to this vent hole?

As far as rise it comes out of the pit probably 2 feet and then goes 9 feet up the wall to the ceiling and then maybe another foot to get out of the basement.

And yes to the idea of a spare pump. I've been terrified about it going out and my basement getting flooded. It's happened all the time in my neighborhood. Our water table appears to be about a foot above ground instead of below.

Reach4

Reaction score
And yes to the idea of a spare pump. I've been terrified about it going out and my basement getting flooded. It's happened all the time in my neighborhood. Our water table appears to be about a foot above ground instead of below.

A quality battery backup sump pump is probably called for here. Basement Watchdog makes some good stuff. The battery will last for hours in the case of an outage. It also serves as a backup to the main pump. Budget maybe $700 or $800 if you do your own install. You might get by with less, but I think the sump pump is critical to your situation.

Sonofawhatthe

Reaction score
image.jpg

So the hole is ABOVE the checkvalve so I'm pretty sure it's not intentional. The Checkvalve appears to be attached at the foot of the pump so there's nothing between the pump and the valve.

Local hardware store sold out of replacement hose (so many other folks monkeying with these things right now) so I did a quick duct tape "slow down" fix and will replace the hose itself later this week when they restock.

Thanks again for the help!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks