Sump Pump & Gutter Drains

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob1234

Reaction score
Home is about 7 y/o. The sump pump output exists the house and goes down below ground. The gutter downspouts also empty to pipes below ground. Recently, whenever the sump pump works, the water comes up the gutter downspouts and spews out. I've taken a hose and run water through the downspout and it does not back up. I've removed the exterior sump pump (where it turns down into the ground) access plug and run water through it and there is no backup. I thought that there might be some clog, but if the water hose is not backing it up, then I don't know if its a clog or not. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Is there a specific clog I should look for? How do I figure out what is going on? How do I fix this? Help is appreciated.

Last edited:

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
The flow of the sump pump is likely greater than when you tested with a... garden hose? What is the size of the pipe in the ground? Maybe it's partially clogged and when you pour water down its not enough to back up.

Reach4

Reaction score
Home is about 7 y/o. The sump pump output exists the house and goes down below ground. The gutter downspouts also empty to pipes below ground. Recently, whenever the sump pump works, the water comes up the gutter downspouts and spews out. I've taken a hose and run water through the downspout and it does not back up. I've removed the exterior sump pump (where it turns down into the ground) access plug and run water through it and there is no backup.

Which of these are true, if any?
1. You have two sumps with pumps.
2. Your gutters feed into the outside sump directly without going through the inside sump first.
3. When the inside pump runs, the water comes out of the downspout area.
4. The inside sump pump sends water into the outside sump.

Bob1234

Reaction score
Just one sump & pump.
2. Your gutters feed into the outside sump directly without going through the inside sump first.
No outside sump.
3. When the inside pump runs, the water comes out of the downspout area.
Yes. Exactly what is happening.
4. The inside sump pump sends water into the outside sump.
No outside sump.

Bob1234

Reaction score
Don't know the size of the pipe in the ground. The exterior PVC pipe that goes into the ground is 1 1/2" or 2"
So you're saying that there may be a partial clog that is letting the water from the garden hose get though, but that its stopping the larger volume of water from the sump pump?

Reach4

Reaction score
Just one sump & pump.

When you said that "sump pump output exists the house" I figured that you meant "exits the house". That seemed to imply that you had an interior sump pump.

Then later you referred to your "exterior sump pump". That is why I was thinking you had two.

I now think that you are saying that the sump pump output feeds the same pipe that takes water away from the house. That means that bmwpowere36m3 and LLigetfa's explanation matches your symptoms.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you know where the pipe goes? I would start at the other end to see if it is partially blocked there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks