Sump Pump drainage

Users who are viewing this thread

lallymommy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I live in southern NJ (Philadelphia suburbs) where we have had lots and lots of rain in June and some days in July. The last day that we had lots of rain was last Friday - July 12.

Yesterday, I noticed that the area in which my sump pump drains is absolutely soaked and muddy. It is about 10 feet away from my house. Doing some observation yesterday, I "think" the sump pumped out about 5-6 times yesterday/today.

I would have thought that since it has not rained in 5 days that there wouldn't be much water going into the sump pit anymore? Or could this continual water be because of the overall excessive rains in June and a little in July affecting groundwater?

I have my plumber coming to check it out tomorrow but I would sincerely appreciate hearing any advice/experiences. I'm a little frazzled by this. Thanks!!!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Take a look at your water meter while no water is being used in the house and see whether its little wheel might be spinning. If your sump pump is suddenly running more than usual, the water it is pumping has to be coming from somewhere and you might have a leak finding its way into your sump. But yes, a high water table could be what is going on.

lallymommy

Reaction score
leejosepho - Thank you for your advice!

If its a high water table, how long does it take for the water table to settle back to normal? Days or weeks?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Scroll about halfway down this page and click your county where it should appear on the right...
http://nj.usgs.gov/infodata/waterwatch.html

I have no idea what information you might actually find there, but look around a bit and maybe you can learn more about what might be going on right where you are. Or, you might try calling your local Health Department to see what someone there might know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks