sump pump basin

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by christoff, Jul 4, 2010.

1. christoff

christoff New Member

hi, im in the middle of putting a sump pump and basin in,and i dug down the 24" deep.
    my intentions are to hook up the weeping tiles to it. after about a day the hole is completely full of water, but not from the weeping tiles so i assume i have a high water table. my question is do i put the basin in the hole and backfill around the basin with 3/4" crushed stone, put the weeper drain into the one of the basin hole, and drill holes into the basin to take away the water that surrounds the basin? if so how high to drill and how many holes?
    if i have to install this basin a different way i would appreciate anyone explaining the proper way to go about it thanks.
  2. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Buy a sump basin that is already drilled and yes, try to fill around it with crushed rock before cementing around the top.
  3. jdon88

jdon88 New Member

I have a similar situation. Weep tiles go into edge of open pit, I want to put a basin in with submersable pump. Do I cut holes in the basin and extend the weeping tiles into it or just let the tiles drain thru the crushed stone and into the basin thru the small holes? Thanks
  4. christoff

christoff New Member

in my case i have a high water table which is where the water is coming from right now so the basin i bought was 30" deep x18" round so i needed to drill holes at 3,6,9,12 oclock all around the basin up to about 1 foot from the bottom
    the weepers have not drained yet , (not enough rain i guess)
  5. jdon88

jdon88 New Member

what size holes did you drill and how far apart?
  6. christoff

christoff New Member

i used a 1/2" drill bit, basically if you space them like a clock at top and bottom, and side to side about 2" up, then another set at 2" more etc. until you get to a foot high