Sump Pump Basin

Users who are viewing this thread

mcnauge

Reaction score
Hello all,

I noticed the other day that the bottom of the sump basin had "bubbled up" and it looked like an air pocket under the base. I tried to push it back down into place and water would come into the pit through one of the holes (side question, the water comes out of the hole around the pipe that i assume is attached the weeping tile...any idea's of why). Can I cut the base out and then pour a concrete base (once summer comes around and its all dry) or should i just pour some concrete into the basin so that it comes up just enough to make the base level again.

Other idea's are welcome as well.

Thanks,
Erik

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The pressure of the groundwater is on the basin and it will move anything that is not secure.

If you can use a standard size you might want to wait until things dry up and then replace the entire basin with a pre-fab one.

mcnauge

Reaction score
Thanks for the reponse, but the one currently installed is a pre-fab basin. Looks like a standard one seen in most stores...So installing a new one would probably bring the same problem with it.

mcnauge

Reaction score
After reading a number of different posts...

I have read that people drill a number of small holes at the base of the sump basin to allow water to enter and not "fill up" around the basin before it pours in through the weeping tile hole.

Is this common practice? that would probably solve me problem, just want to make sure im not making things worse.

Thanks again,
Erik

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Oh- I assumed it was terracotta or something. It that case the plastic must have been damaged or defective- It's really nothing more than a big plastic bucket. I'd only be guessing, but it's possible that it was installed it over crushed stone which over time could wear through the bottom. It sounds like you are not using a submersible sump pump? You could set a concrete paver or something similar in the bottom of the sump until you are able to fix it. Assuming it's deep enough your idea with the concrete seems like it should work fine.

mcnauge

Reaction score
I am using a Sump Pump. Thats why i am trying to get the bottom of the basin to be nice and flat instead of having the sump pump sitting wierd.

I think the ground water is pushing up on the bottom, so thats why i wonder if drilling some holes will help, it would also remove more water that currently from under my house. I assume it would run a bunch at first, but then would return to normal once the water is lowered.

Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Sorry, I was asking whether it was a submersible or pedestal pump... no matter.

The holes would help equalize the pressure. You might need to adjust the pumping level if it runs too much. Pumping water 2 feet below the floor uses more electricity and does nothing for the structure.

mcnauge

Reaction score
Its a submersible Pump with vertical float, so i want to get it as vertical as i can so it never gets stuck and i am going to be installing a battery backup sump that all needs to be somewhat level.

Correct me if im wrong, but the amount of water the pump moves would be the same after the initial lowering of the water, as when its filling the basin from the top hole, the amount of water entering is always the same, just the starting point would be lower?

Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks