Sump pit smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Joez419

Reaction score
We have this bad smell from our sump pit, usually during or after it rains. We’ve had several plumbers in to check for the cause with a few different opinions. Some have suggested to replace the entire cast iron pipe under our basement slab and others recommending just replacing a section but no one can guarantee this will fix the problem.

We have an overhead sewer system with the 1st floor going into the sewer line through traps. The basement bathroom has a sink & toilet piped into the ejector pit along with the laundry sink and floor drain. The washing machine dumps water into the laundry sink. The ejector pit is located centrally within the house and the sump pit is at the far back corner with the drain tiles on the outside of the foundation. There is a drain to the tiles located at the base of the cement stairs leading to the basement door. The overhead sewer line runs along the wall and towards the front, turns downward & goes under the basement slab before running down the center of the basement out to the back of the property, which is where our sewer lines are.

We had this line inspected by camera several times and no one can determine the cause of the smell. We have had a 4 foot section of pipe replaced near the back wall where the old cleanout was located. The smell went away for two years before returning this year. The plumber dug back into the slab to check his connections but found no problems.

Recently we have been experimenting with soap suds in the ejector pit and upstairs sink. Sometimes they appear in the sump pit, but not all the time. We have had the ejector pit replaced but the problem still exists.

If it rains, the smelly water runs into the pit. If it hasn’t rained in a few days we also sometimes see water running into the pit. I have sealed the sump pit with clear lexan to minimize the smell and ran the pipe out 40 feet to the backyard.

Piping sketch

Reach4

Reaction score
Your sealed ejector pit should have a vent to the roof.

Joez419

Reaction score
Your sealed ejector pit should have a vent to the roof.
Everything is vented through PVC pipes out the roof except the sump pit, which should only be clean ground water. I just did not sketch it to simplify the diagram. The sump pit gets vented through the floor drain outside by the basement steps. We have a leak somewhere that leaches into the sump pit but no one can determine exactly where.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could block the sewer at the PVC cleanout with a test ball (Cherne is a popular brand). Then see if the sewer pipe can hold its water level. That would check the sewer piping that is before that cleanout.

Joez419

Reaction score
You could block the sewer at the PVC cleanout with a test ball (Cherne is a popular brand). Then see if the sewer pipe can hold its water level. That would check the sewer piping that is before that cleanout.
That's what I was thinking. I'll be ordering that test ball this week. Thanks for the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks