Sulfur Dioxide gas issue

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Designie, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Designie

Designie New Member

Hi guys,

I am having a recurring, albeit maybe quite rare, problem with Sulfur Dioxide gas. I put the well pump and pressure tank system in about a year ago, and the softener system about 8 months ago. We were building the house then, just about to move in last September. Soon after we moved in, I started smelling the rotten egg smell. I looked up Chlorinating the well. Using the bleach worked great. But now, I started to smell the Sulfur again. So I am about to chlorinate again.

What are your suggestions for treating this? Should I just live with it and do a bleach chlorination if it's only every 4-6 months? I read somewhere that a big 4" x 20" carbon block filter may solve it if the sulfur level isn't too high. Is it anything to worry about more than just being a nuisance?

Thanks!
    Ron
  2. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Not sulfur dioxide, Hydrogen Sulfide, H2S.

Many ways to treat it. Chlorine works, but the side effects are not fun. You can try a number of different ways of aeration.

I would suggest getting the water tested to see what the ppm is. Also you might try a regular galvanized tank to see if it reduces the smell.
  3. Designie

Designie New Member

Yes, not sulfur dioxide!!! Why did I say that?