Sulfur Dioxide gas issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Designie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am having a recurring, albeit maybe quite rare, problem with Sulfur Dioxide gas. I put the well pump and pressure tank system in about a year ago, and the softener system about 8 months ago. We were building the house then, just about to move in last September. Soon after we moved in, I started smelling the rotten egg smell. I looked up Chlorinating the well. Using the bleach worked great. But now, I started to smell the Sulfur again. So I am about to chlorinate again.

What are your suggestions for treating this? Should I just live with it and do a bleach chlorination if it's only every 4-6 months? I read somewhere that a big 4" x 20" carbon block filter may solve it if the sulfur level isn't too high. Is it anything to worry about more than just being a nuisance?

Thanks!
Ron

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sulfur dioxide, Hydrogen Sulfide, H2S.

Many ways to treat it. Chlorine works, but the side effects are not fun. You can try a number of different ways of aeration.

I would suggest getting the water tested to see what the ppm is. Also you might try a regular galvanized tank to see if it reduces the smell.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks