Sulfide Gas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Trester

Reaction score
Yesterday I replaced the flex pipe to the faucet, the smell and taste was still very strong. This morning I disconnected the flex pipe from the PEX valve and filled a cup from this point. The taste and smell were still there, but significantly reduced. Now to tear everything apart and clean as Smooky suggested.

Reach4

Reaction score
In the beginning, shocking the well eliminated the problem for 3-4 months, now, it doesn't help at all.

When you sanitized (shocked) your system, did you run each faucet, until chlorine reached the all of the spouts and toilets and washers including the problem taps?

Yesterday I replaced the flex pipe to the faucet, the smell and taste was still very strong. This morning I disconnected the flex pipe from the PEX valve and filled a cup from this point. The taste and smell were still there, but significantly reduced. Now to tear everything apart and clean as Smooky suggested.
Cool that you made great progress. If you had a way to introduce chlorine into the problem lines, I wonder if that would help with the parts that you are not replacing.

Trester

Reaction score
When you sanitized (shocked) your system, did you run each faucet, until chlorine reached the all of the spouts and toilets and washers including the problem taps?

Cool that you made great progress. If you had a way to introduce chlorine into the problem lines, I wonder if that would help with the parts that you are not replacing.

Even though I ran this faucet first, and ran it quite a while, I never did smell the chlorine. That's why I'm glad you told me about the paper test strips, next time I will know for sure. This is the first time that I've had a well, quite a learning experience.

When I remove the faucet, I'm going to put it back together in a tub and then use a small hand pump to inject a water/bleach mix inside the faucet. Hopefully that will kill any bacteria that is there.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry beat me to it.

I've seen similar problems with the delivery lines to the faucets. Cheap and easy to replace.

Trester

Reaction score
Success at last, no bad taste or smell. Just want to thank everyone for their guidance, it has been very frustrating dealing with this issue.

Thanks

Trester

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to shock my well using the moravec method. I'm confused on the testing of the chlorine though.

1. When I run the faucets so that the bleach is distributed, what reading should I expect on the chlorine strips?
2. From other posts that I have read, it appears as though I should (?) drop chlorine tablets down the well periodically so that there is always chlorine in the system? If so, what reading should I expect from the strips for a "normal" reading?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I would think between 20 and 50. Then give it time. Don't forget to flush toilets, run the dishwasher a bit, do all hose bibs. The incoming chlorine will be higher, but I will stop the flow when I am at that 20-50 level to minimize putting chlorine into the septic.

Make sure you have your softener not do a regen while the big chlorine levels are present. Maybe having the bypass in bypass will be sufficient and an attempt to regen won't actually do anything. I expect to have my controller not make the attempt.

I will put my softener on bypass during most of the process, but I will pass some chlorinated water through the system when the level gets lower... maybe 10 ppm. I plan to put about a tablespoon of bleach in my brine tank, and stir that around early in the process. I plan to do a regen while there is still some chlorine remaining in the system. I expect to put 200 ppm into the casing, but do some things after much of the chlorine has been remove.

Because I cannot drop well chlorinating pellets past my pump to get to the bottom, I will use a much larger flooding volume to move chlorine solution past the pump to the bottom.

Run some chlorinated water through the shower as well as tub. Hot and cold.

If you have an RO system, that takes special action.

I will shut off my supply to the WH before adding chlorine. That can be a source of water for flushing toilets with a bucket. I will put my WH into vacation mode and drain my WH of fresh water before turning the water heater water back on, so the WH and hot pipes can get a good dose.

Take steps to minimize chlorine into the septic tank as best as you can compatible with the sanitizing purpose.

2. That is not a common or normal thing to do. If you did that, you would have to put a lot of work into getting the level right. You would want between 0.25 and 2 ppm. Measuring that would a lot of work and require tuning. It would also require low range strips. I would not do it myself, unless I had some special situation and I wanted to experiment.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks