Sulfer Smell

Users who are viewing this thread

dennis b

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am getting a sulfer smell from only one faucet in my house, the bathroom vanity (installed a year ago). ALL other faucets, shower head, toilets no odor.

Also when I had the bathroom remodeled the plumbing company did not put mortor under my swanstone base. Am I going to have problems there.

Dennis

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Also when I had the bathroom remodeled the plumbing company did not put mortor under my swanstone base. Am I going to have problems there.

Possibly so. Lay a stick of some kind across the top of the tub, then measure down to the floor of the tub and watch to see how much that measurement changes as somebody else steps in and out a couple of times. Flexible materials can be forgiving in the event of an occasional bump, but continual flexing can eventually crack or break just about anything not specifically designed for continual flexing (such as the bed of a trampoline).

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Sulphide Reducing Bacteria is the source of your smell.
That would be sulfate reducing bacteria but... since the odor is at only one faucet, and not a shower especially, then the cause most probably is a contaminated faucet tip and not something in the water.

Remove the faucet tip aerator and mix a tablespoon of regular bleach in a glass of water, not losing any parts of the aerator, and sanitize the aerator in the bleach water for about 25 minutes. During that time, hold the glass up so the tip of the faucet is immersed into the bleach water for as long as you can; not to be less than 10-15 minutes. That will kill any bacteria.

Before doing all that, pour some bleach water down the over flow drain of that sink. They are usually under the rim closest to you. Flush that out with fresh water when you are done with the aertor.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, Gary it would be... I just visited Price-Pfisters website and somehow had "P" on the brain... I may return to normal in a day or so!:D

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Here is a copy of a private message I received.

Dennis, you're welcome.

Gary,

Tried the bleach last night. Soaked the aerator in bleach, used a plastic baggy tied to the end of the faucet and poured solution into overflow. Saturday afternoon and so far so good. I figure I may have to repeat this a time or two to fully resolve the problem.

Thanks for your tip.

Regards,

Dennis

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks