Sulfate and Iron removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Jaylivi

Reaction score
Hello again,

I have sulfate (213 mg/l) and iron 2.6 mg/l and a rotten egg smell that goes away after shock chlorination and returns several weeks later to both hot and cold water.

I was eyeing a katalox system and so tested my pump to see if I could support backwashing. My gpm is only 5 from a Goulds 1/2 hp pump that was installed by the previous owner three years ago.

If I don't have the backwashing capacity, what are my options for removing sulfur? I have looked at an air injection oxidizer but haven't found much useful information about them. Any suggestions for resources would be appreciated.

Jaylivi

Reaction score
I am going to add an 80 gallon expansion tank to my existing 20 gallon tank - would this be sufficient to add a backwashing system to my low flow pump? I'll consider the chlorination, but if I can go with something else I would like to.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have an H2S+iron system that works well for me that backwashes with 5 GPM. Click Inbox above.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
IM Air (Clack valve) or AIO (Fleck valve)systems draw air to oxidize the sulfur. The water then passes through media to remove the sulfur. In your case, catalyst carbon should be used. I've used the IM Air on both iron and sulfur and have very good results.

Reach4

Reaction score
IM Air (Clack valve) or AIO (Fleck valve)systems draw air to oxidize the sulfur. The water then passes through media to remove the sulfur. In your case, catalyst carbon should be used. I've used the IM Air on both iron and sulfur and have very good results.
Is the air added just for regeneration, or is there a continuous aspect?

Jaylivi

Reaction score
Could you point me to a product that you refer to here?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
AIO designs work well but they are prone to adding air to the house water. Not a big deal, just something you need to be aware of.

I prefer Chlorine or h2o2 regeneration systems. Simple and effective plus a lot less air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks