suggestions on connecting PEX to fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

hellomoto

Reaction score
I want to replace galvanized pipes with PEX. I understand that the PEX should not be stressed at the point of connection, like to a hose bibb. What about to stop valves that supply water to fixtures? What is the norm to connecting PEX to stop valves at fixtures and to shower heads, etc?

For example: Regarding shower/tub system, are the shower systems (thermal balancing valves, shower heads, etc.) connected via copper pipes and the PEX is only connected as a supply to the copper circuit? I find this confusing because I thought one advantage of PEX is not needing to open a wall to access the plumbing....

Thanks,

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
Basically you have it correct for a proper installation. PEX is great but like anything it has it's limitations. Your shower valve must be securred to the sturcture and PEX connected so NO stress is placed on the joints. Remember the break will be at the weakes link,, the Joints. Shower head fittings come in two fashions. One is with Two holes and the other is a Three hole. You must use the Three hole and make sure that is totally secure and no twisting pressure can be placed on the PEX if someone replaces the shower head. Supply valves , especially those inside a vanity, can basically just flap in the breeze with a metal or flexible supply tube attached. Just be real careful when using the valve and make sure you hold back on it with another hand while you are turning the handle. Make sure that any water supply from a boiler or water heater have at least two feet or more of copper pipe as the temperature of the water may sooner or later exceed what the PEX is rated at and cause a problem at the connection. Hope this helps.

hellomoto

Reaction score
Securing the joints

Thanks Jeff. That's what I thought. It's best to secure all the joints in the shower circuit to eliminate stress on the PEX connection.

RJ

Reaction score
You can use a new product called Sharkbite fittings. They are conections for PEX, CPVC, And copper tube. You can find more information about them at www.cashacme.com

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
The funny thing about all of these new system products is that you will probably void your warranty if you use other than the fittings that were approved by ANSI, ASTM, etc for the type of piping system. That said Rj's sharkbit fittings look very interesting and could solve many repair problems adapting from one type of pex to copper, brass or many other mis matches.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make copper fittings that connect to the pex that allows you to anchor them and solder (I'd guess you should solder before you make the connection, but the length of the copper may be sufficient so it won't damage the pex - I don't know). That way, the last foot or so can be done in a "conventional" manner, if you wanted to do it that way. From some of those I've seen, there is approximately an 8" copper stub. I've only seen them in pictures, so I may have the size wrong.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
my 2 cents

my daughter and son in law have a radiant heat buss. in Wash state.

they run miles of pex. i asked if they would use pex for water in their new vacation home. he said yes. and the only co. for tools and copper 90s ect is
VIEGA. web site STADLERVIAEGA.COM He also said geoexchange has taken off,big time. them may pass on boilers and just do GEO

TheZster

Reaction score
Another couple of pennies worth

I just ran Pex into my new addition (the rest of the house was already PEX) and now I'm a total convert. I'm reasonably good at running and sweating copper but this stuff was sooooo easy. Found numerous internet companies offering the tools/fittings online at what I considered reasonable prices. The worst part was buying the expander tool...(not available for rent in my area).... but I sold it on E-Bay when I was done and actually made a profit...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks