Suggestions for a powered hydronic valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by helix3, Oct 9, 2009.

1. helix3

helix3 Sr. Systems Engineer, Biotech

Have rental property and want to control the outside faucet from a hidden key switch so that I can stop over and easily water the flowers and such and not have to worry about the neighbors filling their pool with my hose. There are hundreds of hydronic valves out there that could work and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with any one in particular remotely controlling a water source.

Thanks.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I would check the spec to see if a low voltage valve like a hydronic control can operate at house water pressure. It might not turn.

What about a ball valve with a locking tab for a padlock?
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

A hydronic valve is not rated for pressure in excess of 30 lbs. It would probably be ok, but if not you can forget the warranty.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

I just saw a "box" that fits over the hose valve and closes it off when it is locked. I don't remember exactly where it was, although it was at a supply house, but an Internet search for locking hose faucets, or hose faucet locks should bring it up.
  5. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

6. helix3

helix3 Sr. Systems Engineer, Biotech

Thanks for the suggestions. A powered valve is really ideal for my situation. MacMaster has a nice selection to choose from. I'll probably go that route. Thanks!

[​IMG]