Sudden turbidity in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
We've lived in this house for 9 years and this is the first time we've experienced this. We are a small house on a 60' well which we are told is very shallow for a water supply well. The well has never dried up or even showed signs of going dry, even in the terrible droughts of 2007 and 2009. The water supply seems normal, there is just a yellowish turbidity (pic attached). Other details, there is a Gould jet pump under the house and ten feet away a well troll bladder tank also under the house. We don't have any other type of filtration system, we just use the water for everything but drinking. We occasionally drink it when we are out of bottled water. It has always been crystal clear and has always tasted great. There are slight water stains on the bathtub and toilet bowl, black from manganese and red from iron, but not that bad and easily cleans off with standard house cleaners.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is different about the contents of the two jars? Your picture could have been better if you had set your jars on a couple of bricks etc to make the light shine through.

Let the jars sit a few hours or overnight. If the cloudiness works its way up, it is air/gasses. If the cloudiness settles, that would indicate small particles. Those could be removed with a filter.

It could also be that over time particles have settled and have now reached the level of the pump. Some people have success cleaning their wells or having it done for them. You might check your local well company. That would require pulling your pipes. Some just use a big compressor and blow air through a pipe. 5 HP is very good, but others have success with less. Water and debris comes up like a geyser. Makes for interesting pictures and videos.

Some use a smaller compressor, and build an air lift pump. That requires 2 tubes to the bottom. Air comes down one tube/hose, and water+solids come up the other. At least one of the tubes would be a solid PVC pipe, and the other could be flex. How big your casing is plays a part.

Last edited:

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
What is different about the contents of the two jars? Your picture could have been better if you had set your jars on a couple of bricks etc to make the light shine through.

Let the jars sit a few hours or overnight. If the cloudiness works its way up, it is air/gasses. If the cloudiness settles, that would indicate small particles. Those could be removed with a filter.

It could also be that over time particles have settled and have now reached the level of the pump. Some people have success cleaning their wells or having it done for them. You might check your local well company. That would require pulling your pipes. Some just use a big compressor and blow air through a pipe. 5 HP is very good, but others have success with less. Water and debris comes up like a geyser. Makes for interesting pictures and videos.

Some use a smaller compressor, and build an air lift pump. That requires 2 tubes to the bottom. Air comes down one tube/hose, and water+solids come up the other. At least one of the tubes would be a solid PVC pipe, and the other could be flex. How big your casing is plays a part.

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't clarify, the jar on the right is bottled water, the one on the left is is from our tap (our well water). I'm wondering what a ball park figure is to have a well servicing company come out and do the general maintenance you are talking about. I'm having someone come out tomorrow and I have no idea what to expect. The gentleman couldn't give me a price over the phone.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your picture makes the jar on the right look worse than the jar on the left. I messaged you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks