Subpanel

Users who are viewing this thread

alvaradso626

Reaction score
Hi There new guy here well I'm trying to add a sub-panel thing is my sub panel neither my house r. grounded House was build in 1955 Sub panel does not have a ground bus to b connected too
Main panel has whats call bull dog or push in breakers Where should I connect the ground in the sub panel Thank u

Bluebinky

Reaction score
There is likely a bare wire from the neutral bus going to a water pipe (and possibly a ground rod) somewhere, and possibly to the kitchen and bathroom outlets. The neutral bar in the bulldog panel serves as a ground bus also.

My 1960 house in Santa Clara had a bare #8 copper wire running under the stucco to the nearest water spigot -- very difficult to find.

When you are done, there should, at a minimum, be un-spliced ground wires from the main panel to both the underground water service pipe and a ground rod, or two ground rods if the water pipe is not metal.

You'll need both a ground and neutral wire running between the main panel and sub-panel. In the sub-panel, the neutral bus must not be bonded to the panel and ground bus. Have you considered upgrading your panel? The bulldog/pushmatic stuff is dated and considered a fire hazard by many (mine is long gone!!!).

What I mentioned here is not everything you need to know to do what you are talking about -- just the beginning. Please make sure you take the time to really learn this stuff well before doing any work. Do a lot of reading, ask for help, and be careful. I would strongly consider having an experienced electrician (not a handyman) do/supervise the work. You are getting a permit and inspections, right?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks