Subpanel in attached garage adjacent to living space

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Seattle38, May 3, 2012.

1. Seattle38

Seattle38 New Member

I'm adding a subpanel in an attached garage, adjacent to living space, a common wall. I'm in unincorporated Snohomish County.

what are the rules regarding placing a subpanel in an attached garage, in or on a common wall with adjacent living space?

Thanks!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Pretty much the same as a subpanel placed anywhere. Some, but by no means all: fed with a four-wire cable, neutral and ground bus bars separated, access space in front, above, and to the sides (don't remember the numbers).
  3. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

yes you do see it is in red
  4. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

There may be a fire rating requirement on that wall. I'm sure your county building officials stand ready to answer your questions on that subject.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the wall between the garage and the house is a firewall (likely unless it is really old), then you may want to surface mount it rather than install flush (in the wall) mount. You need to be careful about the wire penetrations in the wall to maintain a fire rating as well. How you do that can get more involved.