Submersible Well Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by cdunham, Aug 24, 2013.

1. cdunham

cdunham New Member

My submersible pump is 30ft down and it quit working about 2 months ago. I have pulled it up and replaced with a new one that is basically the same, but different manufacturer. It is used to run my irrigation, and the replacement was working and then just quit in less than a day of replacement. My pump start relay switch seems to be tripped. Whenever I try to run the system in manual mode, the pump tries to kick in, draws current from the electrical box, then all I hear is a bit of a hum. Any ideas?

Thanks
  2. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

A big hum indicates high amp draw.

Is this a 3 wire pump or 2 wire unit?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The hum implies that the motor is stuck and cannot rotate. Pull the pump and check it.
  4. cdunham

cdunham New Member

What would cause the motor to get stuck? I just replaced it within 24 hours and it is brand new out of the box.
  5. cdunham

cdunham New Member

It is a 2 wire unit. The original pump made a humming noise but it did not trip the relay switch. The new one seems to be tripping the relay switch. It is not making a big hum, but I did notice that the pump seemed to be turning off hard/louder than the old pump.
  6. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

Most of the time pumps lock up due to pumping lots of sediment or running dry. Could be a faulty pump/motor too.

What make of pump and motor have you got?

How much water does the well make?