Submersible pump cuts out for 10-15 minutes.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by metze15, Jun 29, 2012.

1. metze15

metze15 New Member

I have a dug well. During times of elevated water usage the pump stops pumping. The contacts on the pressure switch are closed calling for the pump to run and approx 240 volts on the wire going to the pump. I already replaced the pressure switch. I suspect thermal overload issue. I was wondering if there was anything else I can check before getting into the well and retrieving the pump that could be causing this. The pump will turn on about 15 minutes after it tripped and all is fine until I do more than just "normal" water usage.(water flowers for instance)
  2. metze15

metze15 New Member

A little more info....The problem started shortly after installing a new breaker to run a dehumidifier in my basement. I don't understand how that could be related but just read another post that overcurrent was causing a similar problem. I have an incredible amount of water, until now I could fill a pool continuously with no problems. I don't know any specs of the well or the pump just know I don't want to pull it out if I don't need to.
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

If you are sure there is 240 volt at the pressure switch, it is not a problem with the new breaker. Filling a pool or watering flowers with a hose will cycle the pump to death. When the overloads starts tripping its time for a new motor. If it is a three wire with a control box, make sure the control box is good before you pull the pump.