Submersible loses volume and pressure

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by lazer3691, Aug 18, 2008.

1. lazer3691

lazer3691 New Member

I have an 85' well with a 1/2hp submersible about 14 years old. Static water level about 25'. It has been great for doing my irrigation and domestic until this year.

Now, it works good for my domestic water needs but when I use it for irrigation I suddenly have a problem. When it starts it works fine, but after about 5-10 minutes it dies down and looses pressure and volume. The sprinklers start surging and th pump sounds noisy. Then I have to shut it off to recover.

I've resized my sprinkler nozzles down to a 6-8gpm consumption, and now i can go about 20min before the problem starts again.

Any ideas on where to start?:confused:

Thank you in advance.......
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Check the water level in the well while this is happening. I will bet the water level is being pulled down until it pumps air.
  3. lazer3691

lazer3691 New Member

What could cause this all of a sudden?
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

It probably happened gradually. If the static water level is still the same, the perforations or screen is clogging up. Screens usually clog gradually. You just don't see it until one day the well is only making 7 GPM, while you are trying to use 8 GPM.
  5. lazer3691

lazer3691 New Member

Forgive me for asking a dumb question. :confused:

But is the screen on the pump, or the casing? Is it easily cleaned or replaced?

Is this a job for a pro?
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  6. lazer3691

lazer3691 New Member

bump...................
  7. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

The screen is on the end of the casing.
  8. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

It is a job for a pro.

bob...
  9. sammyhydro11

sammyhydro11 Previous member

Who says the guy has a screened well? Screened wells only need to be placed at 15 to 20 feet beyond the static water level depending on the porosity of the water bearing material. I would bet the guy has an artesian well (slang around here for rock bored well). If that's the case i would consider hydro fracturing the well. Not a job for a DIY!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com