subfloor -- toilet

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by pman, Sep 27, 2004.

1. pman

pman New Member

i put down a subfloor, installed the tub and then found my floors are out of whach (actually my carpenter did this)...i need to level the floors with either mud or self leveler...how high above the finished floor must the pvc connectiont to toilet be? tks peter
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flange

NOrmaly about a 1/4" so the pipe is level with the top of the flange that will set on top of the finished floor. How do you get floors out of whack if the framing is done properly. It appears that the whole house would have to be off level for that to happen. If so, at least if you spill a bag of marbles you will know where to find them.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The easiest thing to do is leave the pvc long, and then cut it off when you get the floor finished and are ready to set the toilet...this gives you options if you decide on say use tile rather than vinal.
  4. pman

pman New Member

toilet flange issue

tks for responses...how did it get out of whack? the house is 100 years old and yes whole house out of whack...yes carp should have leveled it was his first responsiblity. does the fact the house is un level make a difference when using mud or self leveler? but bottom line just need an inch?
  5. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Tub Level

I would think that the floor unlevelness would have become apparent when the tub was set. I presume it is set level and plumb. When I level a floor I shim the upper layer of flooring. Leveler is expensive and the thin part is subject to breaking loose.
  6. pman

pman New Member

leveling

meaning you would shim the concrete board on the floor a bit to level? what do u think about using 1/2 to 3/4 of thinset, setting the cbu in level?
  7. LonnythePlumber

Level cbu is good

thinset under the concrete board to level it is a good idea. I do shim under the boards. On ceramic floors leveling the cbu is a good idea.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

"Normal" thinset can be built up in layers, but normally can't be more than 1/4" in a layer. I would think that it would be really hard to get a thick wet layer of thinset under CBU that was installed properly - i.e., with nails or screws - getting them flush would cause the stuff to ooze out the edges while screwing it down. CBU will follow the curves of the floor under it if it isn't relatively flat in the first place. The thinset is only to fill in the small irregularities. Stone/marble thinset (medium set) can be used thicker than standard thinset.
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It is called "THINSET" for a reason!sd

Check with a good flooring installer for proper methods.
  10. LonnythePlumber

Jim D has good point

Jim De has a good point about the thinset.
  11. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

Just another thought, I have lived with an old house which has nothing square or level, even new construction has been "blended" in to it would not look too out of wack. Just be sure your supporting structure is good and can handle your changes. You don't want to be making changes with an underlying problem to haunt you.