subfloor stackup

Users who are viewing this thread

skatona

Reaction score
I haven't found anything on any board addressing my specific issue -

I have a mixed subfloor due to remodel - old sections are 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" T&G planking (can't remember exact measurement), new sections are relatively planar to the old with 3/4" Ply. This floor extends from my entryway (stairway to have carpet runner), through hallway and into kitchen as well as pantry and laundry rooms. Plan is to have tile throughout, with mating joints to dining room of hardwood, and another hallway of carpet (hope you can picture that).

If I try to imagine a crossection of the floor, I get dizzy. Anybody have some advice for the under-tile and under-hardwood buildup to make all sections relatively planar - ? I have seen about 1000 different methods on these message boards for underlayment techniques.

And, one more thing, should I be tiling under the new kitchen cabinetry? I've heard it said that it's silly to tile under a cabinet, yet you need to be able to slide the dishwasher into place...

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Tiling under cabinets: if you've already got them out and not afraid to spend the money...then why not? Alot of people don't because it's inconvenient. As long as you can still get everything under the cabinet with no problem then it really is up to you. I would try to make it accessible so that 5 or 10 years from now I could replace the dishwasher with no problem.

Underlayment: for very thin areas use self-leveling floor leveler. Read the information on the bag for recommendations. For deep places, fill in with "other stuff" whether with plywood, planks, or concrete. For tile you should use some type of backerboard/concrete board. For carpet...just keep it reasonably smooth. Padding will take up the slack. For hardwood (and "fake" hardwood) follow the manufacturers recommendations. For roll flooring (vinyl, linoleum, etc) minimize cracks... I frequently cover floor with 1/4" luan for a smooth surface and fill the cracks with drywall mud sanded smooth...before laying stick on tile or vinyl flooring. If you have to build up one floor to match the elevation of the other (which has a different flooring material), install the highest first then bring the next level up to it with an appropriate material such as OSB or CDX plywood. In high moisture areas use the preservative treated materials.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks