SubFloor Questions - How to secure new subfloor to existing structure

Users who are viewing this thread

ForrestJoy

Reaction score
I have replaced the subfloor in my bathroom with 3/4 T&G plywood. The issue is how do secure the subfloor to the existing subfloor at the joints. To be more clear, the existing subfloor is under the walls and the new subfloor comes to the base of the walls. Do I need to brace between the two subfloors to connect or mate them together? I am attaching a picture where the subfloor is up against the external wall and doesn't have anything to support it, as it runs parallel to the joists... What do I do?

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 437

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you draw a cross-section to describe the situation better.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Screw blocking between the joists below for the subfloor screws to attach to. Use care in cutting the blocking to fit tightly between the joists. A bead of construction adhesive at the connections is good for preventing future squeaking.

BobT3354

Reaction score
Hopefully I don't get in any trouble for mentioning this, but I think I remember this forum working with The John Bridge Tile Forum, or maybe moderators telling people with in depth plumbing questions to come here, but I'd recommend trying the same question there (and drawing a cross section as mentioned already) because the tile pros there quite often need to really beef up floors and just know sufloor installs inside n out and there are certain rules for one layer, two layers, etc!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks