sub panel to garage

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by pbprice, Apr 1, 2011.

1. pbprice

pbprice New Member

I want to run a sub panel to my garage i have enough thhn 8ga wire to do this i already have 1.25 conduit buried and ready my question is can i just put a 50 amp breaker in the house panel and run 4 wires to the sub panel and seperate the neutral and ground in that panel along with driving two ground rods at least 6 feet apart in the ground as this is a detached garage i assume 50amps will be plenty to run lights a few plug ins a built in charger on my bass boat and maybe some day a small compressor. Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated My only real concern is will 50 amps be enough i dont weld so I was told would be plenty the garage is about 25-30 feet from house panel a 200amp new service. thanks again
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

sounds good .
  3. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

Sounds Great! I've seldom had anything approaching that.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
  4. pbprice

pbprice New Member

thanks for the replies I was just worried 50 amps might not be enough im no pro.
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

My garage has a single 20 amp circuit with no subpanel, and I have no problem charging batteries and running a small air compressor.

IMO, a subpanel is nice for the "what if" of the future, but overkill for the average homeowner.

You would need to do the math on your loads to see what capacity you really need.