Stump Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

BubblegumMom

Reaction score
I would like to get rid of a tree stump that is starting to rot and is just a couple feet from the house, I guess mainly because I'm afraid it will start getting a lot of insects. It is too close to the walkway to have it pulled out. I have a container of Hi-Yield Stump Remover which contains potassium nitrite. You're supposed to drill holes down into the stump, 12†deep, then additional holes 3†down from the top of the stump, connecting with the bottoms of the other holes, then pour the stuff in.

I'm just afraid that rainwater or something will cause some of the stuff to splash on the house, and then the house will begin rotting. What do you think?

Loretta

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like using a stump grinder. They come out with a grinder that will leave the stump below the ground.
Cover with dirt and you're done with it.

BubblegumMom

Reaction score
Thanks, but it's a couple feet from the house on one side and right up against the walkway on the other. We had a stump in the front of the house pulled out and at that time they guy indicated he couldn't do that one.

Reach4

Reaction score
Stump grinding is not pulling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb2KSjta21w shows a small rental unit. Pros would use a bigger unit.

[video=youtube;Eb2KSjta21w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb2KSjta21w[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

BubblegumMom

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the video! Now I remember. Stump King didn't pull it out, he ground it up. And he said he couldn't do the one near the house.

caretakerplus

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakerplus.com
I had some people come out to my home for a stump grinding and tree removal. They did a decent job removing the tree, but when they were finished it doesn't seem like they really grinded the roots out properly, because there is a huge mound left where they removed the tree. Is this something that will level out over time? As its kind of an eye sore right now.

Last edited:

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
the nice people at DuPont published a book that taught you how to use their products to solve all manner of problems on your property :)

tree stump bothering you? - not for long

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My wife's uncle said they were using dynamite to remove a stump one time. The ground was very hard and when the charge went off, there was a "hump" like a mole digging a tunnel from the stump to the basement foundation. IT caved in the side of the basement.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The stump near the home maybe too close for the stump grinder and the guys may be afraid that the machine could get away from them and damage your house, OR, is there a gas or electric meter near buy where the blade could hit a gas pipe or electric cable feeding your home.

Between dynamic and stump grinding, stump remover potassium nitrate was very common. Drill a few holes and pour potassium nitrate into the holes. Then add a little water. It accelerated the decomposition process. It may take a year or two but it eventually goes away. I do not think a rotting stump near buy would affect the house unless you're infested with termites. Google search stump remover potassium nitrate for more info.

Just noticed that this thread is three years old!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks