Stud shoes?

Users who are viewing this thread

ohliuw

Reaction score
Are stud shoes mandatory for drain pipes? My builder made a mistake with a drain location in the basement, so they cut left through the studs horizontally for about 15 feet one way, then back to the right to the original location -

I don't think the wall is load bearing (it is the inside wall that has the insulation and the 6 mil, but on the other hand it attaches to the joists, so I am not really sure).

I tried to argue that they should have at least protected the pipe with stud shoes, but the builder told me it was according to the code. I find it hard to believe as once the wall is closed, anyone could drive nails or screws through it.

I am also no sure if it is ok to be outside the vapor barrier?

Also not convinced about these 90 degree turns ...

Could you advise?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. That looks terrible.

Are you sure that is not a vent rather than a drain? Is that a tee in the lower left of your second picture?

I don't know about the missing metal plates.

Last edited:

ohliuw

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. That looks terrible.

Are you sure that is not a vent rather than a drain? Is that a tee in the lower left of your second picture?

I don't know about the missing metal plates. I expect that nobody will have anything good to say about this install.

Yes, it's a tee. I suppose the top horizontal line vents out the roof and the bottom drains down t basement floor.

I have some sort of warranty with Qualite Habition, but they require $100 to open the file, which they will reimburse if they determine that I am right.

I just want to make sure the code requires the use of stud shoes before I go that route. I don't want them to say that's ugly, but it's properly done...

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
As a vent line, that is not the meandering drain line I thought originally.

I don't know if your code requires it stud shoes. If so, pursuing the contractor makes sense. If only nail guards are needed in your area installing them yourself is cheap and easy. How about asking your local building department?

Last edited:

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
im a plumber in Ontario and Yes stud guards are mandatory. Unless you want s hole in a vent snd sewer gas stinking up you house and possibly making you sick.

ohliuw

Reaction score
I ended up buying these 6" plates online - $30 for 50 is damn good price:

Gardner Bender FP159-6 Saf-Te-Plate Protectors, 1-1/2-Inch by 6-Inch, 50/Box

It just wasn't worth my time arguing with ignorant, corner cutting builders

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is hyperbole,.Unless you pull the nail/screw out of the pipe, there is no hole to allow gases into the room. And even if there were, they would merely flow up the wall and vent into the attic through the openings around the pipes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks