Stuck with 14" Rough In

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Sharon C., Dec 10, 2008.

1. Sharon C.

Sharon C. New Member

Well thank god I was paying attention and found this site when I began researching good toilets for my 90+ year old home.

From reading, I realized I better measure the area and it is a 14" rough in. I was not planning to rip up the floor, or gut the walls- we were just going to rip down old wallpaper, replace the ugly old stick on tiles they had in there and put in a new vanity and toilet.

It is possible to make a 14" rough in into a 12" if my husband's brother, a licensed plumber, cut the pipes?

I know about the Totos and the 14" adaptor, but does the quality of performance suffer if using the adaptor? I tried finding more posts from people who have used the adaptors and I saw only one post by a man who was not happy.

Let me know, if possible, if the toto toilet with the adaptor is better than just getting an actual 14" toilet (Kohler has a Wellworth which I heard used to be very poor that is supposedly better now and American Standard has the Cadets.).

Thanks!
  2. T_Finan

T_Finan New Member

any 12 " toilet will work but will be ~2" from the back wall. So you are NOT as stuck as a 10" rough-in.

I had a toto vespin with an 10" adaptor installed today. It seems to work fine and comparably to the toto dartmouth, drake and promenade I also recently installed.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can put any toilet on that flange - using a 12 or 10" one will just mean a bigger gap behind. On those Toto's that use the UniFit adapter, it is a mandatory part of the toilet...they make it in 10, 12, and 14". It comes with the 12" one standard...if you need a different rough, you toss the 12" one and buy what you need. Take a look at their website and one of the spec sheets, it wil become evident. Toto toilets are probably the highest consistent quality of the manufacturers out there and are the largest toilet manufacturer in the world (they do have a plant in Georgia, but many of the bits come from all over the world). I have two toto toilets in my home and put two in my mother's...got to be nice to Mom!
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It certainly is possible to change the rough-in size. It may take more redoing of the floor than you are willing to do, but it also might be fairly simple for a plumber. Have your brother-in-law examine the situation to see what it would take. The Toto Uni Fit adapter would be another possibility, but that does limit your choice of toilets.
  5. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

Toto does make a 14" rough-in tank ST701 it looks like a box.
    ST701.GIF
    It will fit the Toto Reliance C704L Elongated Handicapped bowl or it will also fit the Carusoe or Dalton bowls.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I sell plenty of toilets with the Unifit adapters, and what I constantly hear is how happy they are and can I bring out more to them.
    If you read one comment that was negative, and didn't see all of the positive reviews, you must have stopped reading too soon.

The trapway on the unift mimics the trapway on the Drake and the Ultramax.
    The Unift allows for 10", 12" or 14" roughins.
    For one home, they had all three rough-in dimensions.
    When I was done with the installation, all three toilets were the same distance from the wall.

[​IMG]

Soiree Review

Carlyle and Vespin reviews

If your brother-in-law is a plumber, you might also look into having him move the drain.
    However, unless you have good access to see where it is piped from, it may be somewhat easy for him, or nearly impossible.
    Yo, Brother-in-Law! Got something for you.

[​IMG]
    The standard 12" Unift, the 14" would be a bit longer.

[​IMG]
    Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
    This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
    The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
    This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
    Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
    In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
    Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
    Everything is on the truck for that.
    The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010