Stuck valve stem seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey1956

Reaction score
Can you use WD-40 or thread penetrating oil to help to remove a stuck seat on a price pfister shower stem.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I doubt it would have much effect if any. The threads are fine and there is probably a few years of corrosion to contend with.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not usually necessary, brass to brass. But a soak with white vinegar can't hurt. You need to make sure your seat wrench, it it is the 3-step variety, has the first step ground off, otherwise it will bottom out too soon and tend to slip.

Mikey1956

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. i will give that a try. i think i have the correct seat wrench, but i still need to get rid of the first step.

Mikey1956

Reaction score
I would like to say thanks to the members for the help. The seats were not stuck once i used the correct tool. I was trying to use a tool that did not have steps. Once I bought the 3-step tool and ground down the last step, the seat came out very easy. Also...I believe I made the problem worse on the other stem, by taking the stem out with the valve in the off position. I found this seat to be extremely loose and I now believe I caused that problem. I read some posts which say to make sure the valve is half way on when installing or removing. I believe I learned why. Once again, thanx for the great info.

-mike

pp-faucet-seat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

You didn't find out the main reason for having it partially open when installing the stem, or you would have broken the seat's web and then would have had to replace the entire faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks