Stuck U-Pipe slip-nut help

Users who are viewing this thread

Josee

Reaction score
Good morning-
I am trying to remove the U-pipe under bathroom sink to thoroughly clean it as I think there's something funky going on in there. I've removed the cleanout nut and loosened the tailpiece nut without issue but am unable to remove the U-pipe. I noticed that the slip-nut connected to the trap-arm loosens downward. In all the videos I watched the nut slips up and the pipe just comes loose. I've tried gently wiggling but I'm getting nowhere. ?

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20170320_102645_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20170320_102645_LI.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 869

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you get any movement/deflection on the tailpiece side of the U?

A bleach solution sitting in the trap for a while will kill anything.

Josee

Reaction score
I get movement but since the trap-arm is locking me I can;t lower the tailpiece enough to slip it off. Question: I tried bleach down the sink, also vinegar + baking soda, making sure it sits for a long while but the smell comes back. If I'm stuck all I can think of is trying with a bottle brush dipped in bleach.

I cleaned the shower floor drain last week and am still gagging. I remove the stopper from the sink & cleaned the pipe as best I could and the overflow channel. I had hoped that would have fixed it but there's still a lingering damp smell which goes away when we use the sink and returns several hours later. No other issues, no mold or humidity problems and the toilet is a-ok.

Josee

Reaction score
Maybe the smell is from the path to the overflow holes. If liquid does not do the job, maybe a test tube brush into the holes would help.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/mildew-smell-coming-from-overflow-holes.9049/

I cleaned the overflow holes when I removed the stopper & cleaned the pipe through the top of the sink. I have to add that cleaning those holes was a major pain and the amount of black moldy gunk in there was "surprising". It seems like a really stupid design to have water/debris running in such a tight spot.

Josee

Reaction score
I've given up & cleaned the U-pipe with a bottlebrush dipped in bleach. Will clean the overflow channel by placing rag in drain and filling overflow with bleach/water solution and letting it sit. Then I call an exorcist...

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
That black nut on the wall side I believe is called a "union nut" rather than a slip nut. Those silly
traps very frequently leak at the union joint. Perhaps some jackass decided to glue it to the trap arm
on that account. The easily-disassembled ordinary tubular drain fittings are bad enough - at my house,
every 2 or 3 years I have to take them all apart and clean out the astonishingly large collection of hairy slime.
If I had what you have, I'd immediately take it all out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks