Stuck tub drain fitting!!

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Murphy625, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Murphy625

Murphy625 Member

My rental has a tub and shower that is leaking at the tub drain. It seems that somehow the brass elbow drain fitting has a crack in it or something.

Anyhow, I took the pipe off but I can't get the piece that screws in through the top of the tub into the elbow below out. Its like the brass threads have been fused or something.
    In more proper terms (had to look this one up), the tub basket will not unscrew from the tub shoe..

I was just going to return with the cordless sawzall and cut it off but thought I should ask her first.
    Any suggestions?
  2. Smooky

Smooky Member

3. Murphy625

Murphy625 Member

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the tube has come loose from the shoe, or is brittle so it WILL snap loose, NOTHING will unscrew it. You have to cut it out with a hacksaw blade and small chisel or screwdriver.
  5. Murphy625

Murphy625 Member

That's what I did... Dewalt battery powered angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to the rescue! Took all of 60 seconds.. What sucks is the 35 minute drive to the rental unit...

Thanks!