Stuck!! LITERALLY replacing submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

HIGHPOINT

Reaction score
I live in Florida and had a submersible pump go bad at my parents old house (they are deceased now) where my college age kids live. My well guy wanted $1250 to replace it. I just don't have it, so I figured I would do it myself. That was probably my first mistake, LOL! Anyway to the problem, I used an electric chain hoist on a small boom to pull the pump. As it started coming up I saw that it was 1 1/4" galv. pipe, yeah heavy! As it came up I was sawing off sections about every 10', I had three sections cut off and as we pulled more it froze up and would not come any further. So I tried to drop it back down and try again. It wouldn't drop down. I tried drivinig it down with a hammer. Nope! Now I'm stuck! I don't know what can be holding this thing that tight! Any, and I mean ANY, ideas on what's going on and what can be done from here?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It could be lots of things. Plastic cable guards or torque arrestors could have come loose. If the wire wasn’t coming up exactly with the pipe, the wire could be folded over and wedged beside the pump. It could also be collapsed or broken casing.

Try pulling up while using a pipe wrench to turn it to the right, not the left. Sometimes that will roll it out of broken casing.

Without dropping in a camera to see what is going on, we are just guessing.

These are the kind of jobs where a professional can really earn their paycheck.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I would say this is a job for a professional as further actions could cost you a new well and a lot more dollars! Possibly a well/pump contractor with a down hole camera could see the problem but that would be costly as well.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't recall you mentioning the size of the casing. If it is a 4 inch pump in a 4 inch casing, it doesn't take much. Often at the water line, mineral encrustations will form, constricting the casing enough to stick a pump.

Hire a pro or rent a camera.

HIGHPOINT

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I got it freed up. I was able to turn it and then drove it down with a fence post driver. I made SURE this time that we stayed centered and kept the wiring pulled tight and we were able to remove it the rest of the way out. I understand the thing about calling a professional, I own a home improvement business, but you don't always have the money for these things. This was not my home, but it is a home I own and my collge kids live in it and one that they are SUPPOSED to take care of on their own. So the key word is supposed, but right now things are tough for them and Mom & Dad are covering all their bills along with ours. That's why there wasn't extra money for the repairs. And now you know the rest of the story! LoL

HIGHPOINT

Reaction score
FYI, I never felt the price was unfair, I simply did not have it.

Consider yourself very lucky! BTW, $1250.00 sounds more than fair depending on the pump

I can assure you if I had the money I would not have been out there fighting with this thing myself. this is not my area of expertise. But options become limited when you don't have the cash.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hey, that's why we can share stuff like this. We don't all have the money for all the things we need.
It's nice to be able to DIY some of them.

Obviously, when we "do" have that kind of cash laying around, it's a good thing. When I was young, I used to pull engines apart and fix em! Now I pay someone to change my oil. But there's still plenty of other things, that if I want them done, I'm elected!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks