Stuccoing over painted cinderblocks?

Users who are viewing this thread

marcj2112

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an older, cinder block home (40) years that has about 4 layers of paint on it. In the areas that have gotten direct sunlight, I can scrape the paint off with a scraper using no chemicals. In the shady areas, even with every stripper available at Lowes/HD, it's a bear getting it off.
If I remove all the loose paint, and want to stucco over the block, would applying a good bonding agent over the existing, non-peeling paint be sufficient? Or does the house have to be completely stripped?
If so, will muriatic acid be better than a bonafide paint stripper, or is there a brand of stripper that would be better than others?
Thanks in advance
Marc

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't help with stripping the paint, but check, I think the paint chips are likely considered a hazardous waste (they probably contain lead, depending on their age). Try to avoid breathing any dust and collect it all with tarps.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If your trying to strip the paint they make a stripper that you
apply then cover and let sit.

Then peel off the cover and the paint comes with it.
Expensive but easy.

Or you can apply paste type stripper and keep applying it as it sinks in. After 4-5 coats put on 1 good coat and cover the area with wax paper and let it sit for as long as it takes checking every 45 Min. until it is through all the layers then peel it of with a scraper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks