Stubborn nut

Users who are viewing this thread

ronnieray

Reaction score
and I not talking about my wife. This is the nut that attaches the flush value to the tank and is on a 1953 american standard toilet. I have an adjustable plumber's slide wrench but the problem is how to keep the value base inside the tank stable so i can unscrew the nut. I have tried a ton of liquid wrench to free up the nut but so far no luck in getting the nut loose from the valve.

Any ideas on how to get the nut loose and how best to stop the value base from turning when I apply force?

P.S. I know that it would be better to replace this old water hog but the misses likes the look and wants to keep. I would rather hassle the dead nut rather than the live one on this issue.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to wait until she wasn't around or at least nearby, and get a really big wrench on it, then let the wrench slip...accident of course. That should be enough to break the tank and give a good reason to get an new Toto.:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks