Struggle to get Pitt less adapter to release

Users who are viewing this thread

Wentzel Dippenaar

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a cows feet adapter about 8'6" down with a cable attached to it and I can see how it release when I pull on the cable but the pit less adapter wont release so I can pull the pump up with the T-Handle I made. Is there a knack to it that I just don't get.I tried using a steel fence T-bar to try and pry it out but nothing. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Vince

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Actually the crow's foot style pushes a male appendage into a female receiver. It cannot be lifted off as valveman said. I know, I have that style. With the foot raised, you need to slap the pipe against the side of the casing to get the male part to release.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah yes, a Jiffy pitless..... You need to take some of the weight off, pull on the cable hard enough to lift the fingers and at the same time the cam will push it away from the casing.

These are a serious pain in the ass, especially when the cable breaks

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
That's what most people use around here and they are terrible I think. They are a real pain, and are very difficult to release especially when they have been in a long time, and especially if you are trying to do it yourself. Sometimes, we have to dig it up and cut the casing so we can get to it...but thats a last resort. First I would try to get a long pry bar or digging bar and wedge it between the lifting pipe and the casing while you are both pulling the release cable and lifting very slightly. If you pull up hard on the lifting pipe, you'll never get it to come out. You have to just take the weight off of the male snout as I call it, while pulling release cable. It's very hard to do alone, but this usually works..rocking the pry bar back and forth.... Another method....If the pump will move any water, you can turn the pump on, while you're hooked up to the the lifting pipe, AND pulling the release cable....the water pressure will blow it out.....be very careful....but if the pump would run, you probably wouldn't be trying to pull the pump. You might have to call a pro, and even they may have trouble....but let me also say to be very very careful, because if you drop this in the well, it is probably the hardest thing to fish out.....good luck

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Maybe try running an 8 foot 2x4 down between the pull pipe and casing. Tether it off so there's no chance of losing it down the hole. Problem is anything you jam between the pull pipe and casing will probably put an angle on the snout causing it to bind even more.

Pull up on the Tee, Pull the release cable, and slap the pipe against the casing repeatedly. That always worked for me.

They are a real pain, and are very difficult to release especially when they have been in a long time, and especially if you are trying to do it yourself.
I've had my pump in and out about a dozen times and did it single handed but then mine is only hung on about 50 feet of poly. Much more weight and it could be a 3 man job.

....but let me also say to be very very careful, because if you drop this in the well, it is probably the hardest thing to fish out.....good luck
The OP did say he had a made up a pulling Tee so assume the Tee would not fit down the casing.

I always tether off anything and everything that could fall down the casing and have a safety rope on the pump as well. The pump guy I bought my last pump from was telling me how they dropped one of those down the hole. It was the first one they ever had the misfortune to work on and didn't realize that the release cable did exactly that. Poor sap tried to keep it from going down the hole hanging on to just the release cable until the pain was too much. No explanation to why they didn't have a Tee handle on the pull pipe.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We pulled one last summer when a crew from another company had no idea how to get it out. I think the only thing worse than these are the old aluminum ones that resemble a Martinson but are cast aluminum. Those usually break when you pull on them.

I imagine fishing for one of these would be quite the challenge

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks