Stripped cast iron clean out.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Bob Arkay, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Bob Arkay

Bob Arkay New Member

The main sewer out of the house is 3" cast iron, built around 1960. The clean out is a cast iron tee with a brass plug, about 2 feet from the foundation. The plug has come loose and the CI treads are rusted and swelled so that I can't screw in a new plug. Grade level has increased about 10 inches over the years, so I want to put an extension to grade as well. What is the recommended repair. (I am capable of DIY) Is there some kind of doughnut or other reducer, or should I cut out the tee and replace it with PVC and rubber connectors? If I have to replace the tee should I use a Y or tee?
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I prefer to have the cleanout set flush with the surrounding grade, as it is less likely to be an eyesore or get in the way. If the main line is deep it is preferred to set a wye facing each direction, so that the line can be rodded towards the inside and towards the street. Cast iron is the preferred material here for exposed pipe and fittings.
  3. CanOfWorms

CanOfWorms Member

Heli coil.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Heli coil.

If it is actually a 3" cast iron line, the cleanout is probably a 2 1/2" pipe thread. How much would a 2 1/2", ( or possibly 3"), HeliCoil tap, adapter, and brass plug cost? Probably a whole lot since I don't think they make that size so it would have to be a custom fabrication.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You might be lucky and an expandable rubber plug might seal. Otherwise, replacing it may be the only option.
  6. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

I've only encountered 2 1/2 in. pipe once in a plumbing application, but I believe it's used widely for electrical conduit. You might be able to find
    a steel conduit fitting with 2 1/2 in. male threads and use that as a thread chaser on the cast iron. It would be better, though, for clean-out
    purposes, just to remove the cleanout fitting at the cast iron hub and use a donut to extend the 3 in pipe to grade level.
  7. CanOfWorms

CanOfWorms Member

I was actually joking. I thought a 3" Heli Coil would be redunkulous.

But, checking on Heli-Coil site the "tap" out at 1 7/8"
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

People with problems do not always appreciate humor. I have used a wire brush wheel to clean the threads so the plug would screw in.
  9. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The rubber plug would be the quick and cheap solution. If this is a cleanout leaded into a hub, then it would be a straightforward replacement.