Street shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Peters

Reaction score
Our water bill has been consistently high as in double what our neighbors and friends pay. Noticed a puddle about 5 feet in diameter around our outside shut off valve in our driveway. There is also a depression in the driveway hence the puddle which i never noticed before. Could there be a leak at the shut off valve? It is also spring with a rapid snow melt oocuring not sure if i should call the town or not to come and check this out. Thanks for any suggestions given. Dan

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Since you are in Ontario I'm assuming your water meter is probably in a basement or if on a slab somewhere on the first floor where it is warm so things do not freeze. Not sure where your side of the water main starts, probably at the shutoff in your driveway. It maybe three feet below the surface and I would suggest then call your water company. As HJ stated they will definitely tell you that there is a leak and if it is on your side of the shut off or meter, it's your problem. You might get lucky and it's on the water company's side, then it is their problem.

All water meters have a water flow indicator. The meters that have the numbers like an old speedometer on your car will have a little wheel, maybe shaped like a triangle that turns as water flows. The digital meter will have a flashing arrow in the LCD display and they are very sensitive to water flow. Turn on a faucet and look at the meter so you can see what the indicator looks like. Then check that every faucet is turned off and take a look at the meter, there should be no movement indicated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The frost line in Ontario could be 5' down (or more!). Since the water bill seems high, the problem (and there could be more than one) is on your side, so it's your problem. But, depending on how things work in Ontario, the utility might take care of things up to the meter, but most places, you own it from the main shutoff typically near the main line. A puddle this time of year with all of the snowmelt may or may not be a potable water leak indication!

But, as said...check that all of the things in the house are turned off, and look at the water meter. If it's turning, it still doesn't confirm a leaky pipe...it could be something like a toilet that is running constantly because of a bad valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks