Street 45/45 closet flange vs. spigot closet bend

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by North Jersey, May 11, 2009.

1. North Jersey

North Jersey New Member

I'm finishing off my basement as a dedicated home theater, and I want to avoid building a soffit around my toilet plumbing. My floor joists are 2x8, and I have about a 4-1/2' run to the main stack. I'll be replacing the copper elbow that presently juts well below the joists.

What are the merits of using a spigot closet bend vs. a 45° closet flange with a street 45°?
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17876

On a side note, to make the degree ° symbol you can use either use Alt+0176 (on the number pad only) or you can insert the symbol using Microsoft character map.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

opening

No advantage either way, at first. BUT, if you ever have a problem and have to redo it, the spigot closet bend will be faster and easier, especially if it is a 3"x4" spigot bend.
  3. North Jersey

North Jersey New Member

Does any manufacturer in particular make a closet bend that provides more clearance than the rest?

I'll be sloping down only about an inch over the four or five feet to the wall, but a 2x8 bay seems pretty shallow to me.
  4. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Same question for me! I may be coming up short on vertical clearance and I'm looking for the shallowest fitting possible...
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The shallowest possible is the 4x3 spigot closet bend with a 4" hub closet flange.