Strange well/pressure tank problem . . . Missing Drawdown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Drewmcg

Reaction score
Mystery solved....

Given the fact that the system was holding pressure with no faucets open (and no evidence of a second check valve), I decided to re-examine my conclusion that the bladder on this Flotec-sourced Sears captive air tank was intact.

I turned off the pump and ran a garden hose from the drain bib to the sump. After the water stopped flowing, I used a bolt to release the schrader valve for a few minutes. I went and drank a coffee (to allow any dripping from the drain bib to occur complete). I came back, released some more air (no water) from the schrader valve, and then carefully rocked the tank. A lot water inside still!

I tried to lift the end not anchored to fixed plumbing (connected to well casing by somewhat flexible tubing)--too heavy (I'm a big guy, and it was still too heavy). I concluded that the thing is nearly half full of water based on the swishing sounds. This explains the reduced drawdown: .26 X 16 gals (little less than one-half of the 36 gallon total volume of the tank) = 4.1 gal drawdown.

I spoke with the landlord a short while ago, who will replace the tank (probably with a Amtrol Well-X 44 gal), rather than pay a plumber to remove the tank, struggle with the rusted screws and retainer on the bottom, clean out (and sanitize) the old tank, and replace the bladder ($60 from Sears; $99 + shipping from Flotec!). As valveman suggests, this is a good investment over cheap captive air tank, which just seems like trouble waiting to happen.

Vavleman: I've followed your posts with interest, and read your website thoroughly, and respect your expertise, your views, and how you express them. That said, since I don't hardly ever run a hose, do not have a heat pump, and don't irrigate, I did not see the point of recommending a CSV + small tank to the landlord. I pay for the electricity (likely more in my application with a CSV) but not for the pump replacement (the 10 gpm pump should last for long time, anyway, with a low-demand, two-person, 1.5 bath household with no dishwasher such as mine). I think your rebuttal of the Joe Lane article (which I finally found, and read) pretty much admits this. I suppose if I had to pay for pump replacements I might feel differently, though! Cheers.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you read the Amtrol article, you can see that the worst case they could make was an increase of about 5 cents per day, or $1.50 per month. Did you find the Amtrol article on line? I can’t seem to find it anymore.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but my research on captive air tanks indicates that normally the bladder holds water; not air (at least for metal tanks).

There are essentially two types. They are a balloon inside the tank and have either air inside the ballon and water surrounding it or water inside the balloon and air surrounding it. If there is a bolted flange at the end of the tank where the Tee is, the bladder will most likely hold the water.

Drewmcg

Reaction score
If you read the Amtrol article, you can see that the worst case they could make was an increase of about 5 cents per day, or $1.50 per month. Did you find the Amtrol article on line? I can’t seem to find it anymore.

Yes (took me a while, though). You can download it from the NWGA.org website, I believe (it was published in their magazine).

The relevant comparison is the field test, which showed a .75 KwH/day penalty with the CSV. .75 X $0.125 cents/KwH (SE Mich) = $2.81/mo, + 6% tax = $$2.99/mo. Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have to consider the source of that article. It was written by the man who invented diaphragm tanks. And it is designed to make anything but a big pressure tank look bad. I won't argue with 3 bucks a month as being a worst case scenerio, but it is not the norm. Even 3 bucks a month is cheap insurance for making the pump last several times longer than normal, and is more than offset by the difference in tank size and cost. Not to mention having constant (city like) pressure in the house compared to the pressure going up and down continuously. I think the tank company finally removed that article from their own web page because they got tired of being laughed at. Pump professionals who know how to read the details understand that the test was set up specifically to make constant pressure systems look bad.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Sears bag tanks never last beyond 4 or 5 years, less if you dont maintain them every 6 months. They leak and they are impossible to change a bag on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks