strange size tub drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dbman190, Aug 28, 2012.

1. dbman190

dbman190 New Member

Hi,

I was trying to fix my bathtub plunger drain stopper (not sure if correct term) which was completely stuck and unmovable. I pulled it out and attempted to replace it at Home Depot with a pop-up drain. However, my drain is too small (and has too small a thread size) to fit the bushing, but too large (but correct thread size) to fit the drain without the bushing. The Home Depot employee (who was very knowledgable) was completely stumped and had never seen a drain this size before.

I am living in a condo that was gut renovated about 7 or 8 years ago, and I have no idea what size drain this is. I have no way to replace the drain pipe below the tub. I measure (from outside of threads to outside of threads of the drain I unscrewed) 1-11/16" size of the drain. Most all the other fixtures are Kohler, but I have a suspicion that this drain was not replaced in the rehab. It's an old bronze piece.

Can anyone point me towards the correct bushing for this type of drain?

Alternately, I cannot get the brass plunger to fit back in the overflow. It refuses to go far enough to stop water from draining, and I hear it hitting metal. Any ideas of how I can get the plunger to get back in? This would obviate replacing the drain with a pop-up type stopper.

Thanks in advance!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There are many different sized bushings, but you almost have to know the drain's brand. An I.D. measurement AND thread pitch/count would help if you can find a knowledgeable source for it.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

WATCO makes at least 10 different size bushings for tub drains. HD will never have seen ANY of them.
  4. dbman190

dbman190 New Member

Sorry for the dumb questions. If I remove the tub drain and take it to a plumbing supply store, do you think they'll be able to find a bushing (if necessary) and a pop up drain that will fit?

If not, would any of you know why I cannot get the brass plunger to fit in the overflow? It just stops about 3 or 4 inches too high. There was one in there previously, but it was completely stuck when I moved in. I had to spray WD-40 and then yank on it with locking pliers to get it out, and it did come out. I am trying to put in an identical, but new, one.

Thanks in advance!
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I am trying to put in an identical, but new, one.

Are you sure it is "identical"? They are not generic, so you need a replacement from the original company, but you apparently fo NOT know who made it. Few plumbing supply companies will have the bushing you need and would have to order it, IF they could determine the exact one you need.
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

If you can get at it, take the whole waste/overflow out and replace it.