strange odor in water

Users who are viewing this thread

iowa1010

Reaction score
Our hot water tank went out on us and water flooded all around the area of the tank. We replaced the tank and dried up area of visible water on floor. Since then we have had a strange odor in our water that is not a sulfur smell, just a real stale odor that is hard to describe. Around the area that flooded is where our polybutlene lines come up from slab and connect to all parts of the house. This area is under the tank that is up on wood. Next to the tank is our washer and drier and behind tank is a shower. We now believe months later that water got in these areas but is dry now. Water filled in area under tub that is cut open in slab for sewer drain. There is a smell there I do believe without opening up the wall. We tore out trim in this laundry room and the wood joist look fine but there are smells. I know my plumbing is crap but you have to have a leak to receive benefits from lawsuit. I have talked to plumbers and they say nothing can get into these water lines. We are not sure what to do.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty understanding your post... I start reading that the water has a smell then it seems to switch to a smell in the basement laundry area...
Which is it or, is it both?:confused:

iowa1010

Reaction score
The hot water tank is in the laundry room. We are on a slab with no basement. The smell in the water was noticeable after the tank flooded the laundry room and hallway. Water got underneath the tank that is up on wood. I cut a hole in the wall under tank and see the plumbing appears to come up under the tank. There is 6 lines coming up in the slab there. This area definitely got wet. Behind the tank in the room next to the laundry room is a bathtub. I could see after cutting a hole, water flooded under this tub that has blown insulation(I removed what I could). Next to the tank in the laundry room is the washer and dryer. When I do wash, the clothes smell funny especially in the morning and on warm days. Next to the washer is the dryer and across from dryer is furnace. I had the furnace removed and heat and air contracter cleaned under it in return air duct area. Water got under there. This water line continues to another bathroom and kitchen area. My kitchen sink has this smell and in tubs after a shower especially on warm days, windy days, air running or windows open. Sounds strange, but I have asked alot of people and no one has an answer. It has been very hard to live with because the smell can be on clothes or areas I wipe with water. I never had this smell before and have lived in the home for 8 years. I even had the city test the water for bacteria but came back negative and chlorine level they said was good. We've been living with this for 8 months and still no answers.

iowa1010

Reaction score
Mold testing in water lines? If so, who can test and what can you do about it?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Whenever and wherever you have a water leak such as you had with the water heater failure, you must remove all wet material, especially insulation, wall board etc., and dry everything everywhere or you get musty smells and other type odors PLUS, black mold problems in most cases.

Some types of mold can cause serious health problems and make a house totally worthless because it can cost more to fix than tearing the house down and rebuilding it.

Do a Google search for "water damage" + mold with the "" and read up on it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The mold is not in your water, but, there is a good chance it is in your house. Appliances such as forced air heating and dryers will suck in mold spores and spread them or, in the case of your dryer deposit them on your clothing. The smell is probably not the water but the air you dry your clothes with.

iowa1010

Reaction score
I had service master come in after 4 months because we really didn't realize that water went other places we could not see. He checked areas of concern and could not find any moisture with his probe. He did tell me to open up under furnace and hot water tank and clean it out which I did. He did not believe I have a mold problem but then again we can not see behind these walls without tearing them up.
I wash clothes and hang them up outside to dry and they still have this smell.
Where ever the mold is, there is no visible signs so that is scary. I guess we need to tear down our walls.

iowa1010

Reaction score
To add to the puzzle. I took a shower in the bathroom behind our hot water tank that went out on us and went outside. I had that same odor in my hair that was wet. The hot water line can not travel to far to the shower since the shower is directly behind the tank. It seems the water somehow smells when exposed to air outside. Can anyone explain my dilema?

iowa1010

Reaction score
It seems to be coming from both. I smell the odor after water is in contact with outdoor air, but not in my house when it is closed up with no air running and I am not sure yet if warm days will make it more noticeable in my house. I do not think it is the anode on my hot water heater. The odor is more like a sewer smell or very stale water smell, not a rotten egg smell. Possibly the water lines got wet in blown insulation or water got into cut in slab under tub where sewer line goes into and it is effecting the quality of water. There is an odor that effects the smell of my water when exposed to air from heat and air conditioner or outside air. When the water in my kitchen sink smells, so do the dishes I wash and counters I wipe off. I have been using gallon water to clean. My house does have odors but not moldy ones I do not think.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pb

The leak requirement in the polybutylene replacement suit was easy to take care, of but unfortunately, unless the parameters have changed, the time frame has expired. Your description of the problem would normally indicate multiple problems and even if it were just one, we would almost have to be there to create the odor ourselves to try to determine what it is and where it is coming from.

Entropy

Reaction score
Sounds like sulphur, but if it is not a rotten egg smell then perhaps you need a new pressure tank, we had a similar smell and it was a whole lot of crud in the pressure tank.

Try and drain it till it is right empty. if it will not empty completely perhaps your bladder is leaking.

Etropy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks