Strange Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Foldesi

Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping to get help in locating a leak or at least a place to look. When I flush my toilet it leaks into my basement through the hole in my floor for the waste pipe. I shut off my fill valve, flushed the toilet and no leak. I turned the fill valve back on and the leak starts. The strange thing is after the toilet fills the drips stop. Nothing on the bathroom floor. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try looking/feeling the back of the bowl for water. Take the tank lid off flush the toilet and see if the fill valve is spraying and water exiting the tank near the lid area. The bowl fill tube may be spraying water out through the top of the tank also.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The wax ring, under the toilet, most likely is the culprit.

Foldesi

Reaction score
Does it make sense that it wouldn't leak when flushed with water supply off?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Does it make sense that it wouldn't leak when flushed with water supply off?

No, but I have seen that happen. When flushed the water flows differently than when just trickeling down after the flush.

Grazzy

Reaction score
The wax ring, under the toilet, most likely is the culprit.

i can't imagine how else the water could be getting into the basement but the wax ring seal, even if someone were peeing on the floor. there's only one real entry to the room below.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
i can't imagine how else the water could be getting into the basement but the wax ring seal, even if someone were peeing on the floor. there's only one real entry to the room below.

That's not true. If the toilet isn't caulked around its base, water can and does get under the toilet and drip below, eg, a toilet overflow, burst pipe, etc.. But of course, there should be water on the floor somewhere if it is related to the fill valve.

Question for the OP: Are you seeing water dripping in "real time"? In other words, are you able to see water leaking the moment your assistant is flushing the toilet? Or is there a bunch of insulation that must first soak up the water before it leaks? If there is any kind of delay between the time you flush the toilet and the time you actually see the water dripping, then you can't say it is related to the fill valve being shut off.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks