Strange kitchen sink drain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Jongho

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm experiencing a seemingly kitchen sink drain issue which I don't know the cause of.
There's only one sink with a garbage disposal. Dish washer is connected to the disposal.

The problem is the sink drains slowly, about 10-20 minutes to drain. If I turn on the disposal, it drains immediately. But as soon as I turn it off, the drained water restores back.
Regardless of how much water was in the sink, the restored water level is always the same, which is the most strange thing to me. Dish washer used to drain fine, but after this problem, it doesn't drain either. What would be the cause?

I tried
- 1 hour's pouring boiling water last night
- 1 bottle of Drano Dual-Force foamer this afternoon
but nothing worked. I'm wondering if this is a clogged sink issue at all.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Clogs often occur under the kitchen sink where the drain pipe changes from vertical to horizontal. If you have a basement, you might want to saw out a section of pipe that you use to snake the pipe. Then restore the section with Mission connectors. Maybe you already have a proper cleanout that will give ready access to that area.

With such a section removed, I have had luck doing DYI cleanout using Brasscraft drain bladders (small or medium). These go on the end of a garden hose. A proper cutting system would probably be more faster and open things more fully. But that did the job for me. The clogged area was shared by a basement laundry sink and washing machine emptying into the laundry sink..

I can't explain your rebounding standing water.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water is being pushed up the vent by the disposer. Turn it off and it comes back up in the sink.
Some things get past the blades in the disposer; onion skins, potato peels, etc. You'll have to go in after whatever is. Sometimes the little homeowner snake from HD will break it loose, but it takes persistence.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks