Strange Drain Pipe Problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Nhilar, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Nhilar

Nhilar New Member

So..I have a strange one here...

Back at the end of October, a water spot appeared on the ceiling of the main floor dinning room (which is right under the master bath)..It got worse quick, so I opened the ceiling up and did some testing, it would only drip when the shower was on and draining (not when it ran into a bucket), I told wife not to use master bath...then I went on work travel and got really sick, went to hospital, 7 surgeries later and 2 near death experiences and a number of months later I am healthy again and back investigating the problem.

I pulled back the insulation from the cut I made in the ceiling and low and behold there is an elbow in the 4" sewer drain right where it dripped...by god I said to myself that is where it must be dripping from, that is the ugliest PVC joint I have ever seen ... okay, simple test...run water again lets see what happens...

I run water for more than an hour, shower, tub, toilet...no a single dang drip! no wet spot anywhere else either!!!

What the @#@#....now what?

-Nhilar
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Soak the shower walls down good, your leak might not be from the drain, but from a seam or joint in the shower itself.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You are NOT going to get Fast, Good, and Cheap at the same time.
  4. Nhilar

Nhilar New Member

Well that's what the diagram says...choose one and get a little of the others.
  5. jim mills

jim mills New Member

Leave ceiling open and start using the bath again. Monitor daily until you find the leak. I have seen leaks dry up & "seal" themselves temporarily before.