Strange bath sink drain plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

chadzeilenga

Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a 100 yr old 2-flat apartment building that has an interesting drain configuration in the bathroom sink. The sink is very small and fits into the corner of the bathroom. Inside the cabinet there is not the ordinary P-trap that I am used to. This drain pipe is all one peice and has a little threaded cap at the very bottom of the trap that unscrews for access to the trap area? The pipe is very smoothly shaped and has a tie in from the oposite side of the wall in the kitchen.
Is anyone familiar with this type of pipe? The tenant was trying to unclog it with a coat hanger and pushed through the bottom of the pipe. I'm going to JB Weld it for now until I can get it all taken out and replaced with current plumbing.
How do I splice into this pipe? How does this normally connect to a waste pipe? would I be able to disconnect the current pipe from the waste pipe and sink and replace it with newer plumbing?

Thanks,
Chad

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like a type of drum trap or P trap with C/O but I'm not sure by your description.

You should get a new P trap and hold it in place to see if there is room for it. If there is you should be able to cut the pipe, as long as it is not paper thin, and replace the old brass piping and install the new trap. You may need to replace the pop up. You will need a straight coupling to act as a desanco where you cut near the wall.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks