Strange Ant Problem - FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Coolul007

Reaction score
It seems like this is out of a scifi movie. I am doing some wiring in a friends cabin. It started with installing a washer that was left outside for a few months. Once installed, it didn't work. I looked at the timer mechanism and found an infestation of tiny ants. They built a nest/nursery within the timing switching part. The second problem was a non-working light in a greenhouse. I checked the light and saw that the GFCI outlet that the light was wired through was tripped. It would not reset. As I removed the device I discovered another nest of ants in the box and inside the GFCI outlet. They came out of every hole in the outlet. I traced the circuit back to the junction box in the pump house. Inside the pump house was another GFCI outlet that was tripped. It, too, would not reset. Guess what? Another infestation of tiny ants. The location of the cabin is about a mile inland from the Northern coast of California.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I had heard similar things with ants in Texas, but not in CA. SOme think that the electrical field attracts them.

Coolul007

Reaction score
I had heard similar things with ants in Texas, but not in CA. SOme think that the electrical field attracts them.
These are real small ants 3/16 inch long. It must be something like the field or I even thought it may produce a small amount of heat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks