Stinky front loader Bosch washing machine - what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Benj

Reaction score
Hello there,
I wasn't sure where to post this question so I hope here is OK. I've had a Bosch front loader washing machine for about 5 years. It's a WFMC2201UC/12 machine. I've cleaned it out the best I can without taking the whole thing apart but it still smells terrible (so bad that we leave the laundry room window open and door closed). The clothes come out smelling like mold. I've taken the screen out of the lower bottom on the right and cleaned it. All the hoses are covered on the insides coming and going from the drain screen with gray slime. I've run a number of cycles with just bleech.

Do you have thoughts on how to clean this thing, other than taking all the drain hoses out and running brushes through them? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you leave the washer door open between loads? Do so.

Try running an empty load with hot water and a good dose of chlorine bleach.

Benj

Reaction score
Yes...we always leave the door open unless it's washing a load. I've done several cycles with a couple cups of bleech and hot water. Doesn't seem to make any improvement.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the smell stronger right after a load, or a couple of days later?

Well or city water?

Queen50

Reaction score
There are deodorizers specifically made for front-load washers. Also, clean the door gasket with vinegar and water. If you can't get the smell out, you may want to replace the gasket.

Benj

Reaction score
My wife does laundry pretty much every day. It may stink a little more after a load, as it's pretty strong smell on opening the door to take a load out, but even when we've been away for a week, it's still pretty bad.

We have city water that is chlorinated and has below threshold lead, arsnic and cadmium (which we filter out for drinking with an RO system).

I've cleaned the front gasket the best I can (is discolored) and cleaned out the hoses the best I can through the filter clean out at the bottom, but there's still the slime I can see in the hoses that I can't get out and doesn't seem to change/reduce after a cycle of bleech.

I don't know that a deodorizer will get rid of the smell.

A good friend of mine had several front loader washing machines which also had bad oder. I think one of them was Bosch. They had it replaced a couple times and eventually got rid of front load and got a top loader which they are happy with.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Could be sewer gas depending upon how the machine is installed.

There is nothing in your machine's manual that covers this, but I would try calling Bosch customer service to see if they have a suggestion beyond what we said here. 1-800-944-2904

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Before going nuts, I would try a different Landry Detergent.

Sounds to easy, But it worked for me.

Dan87

Reaction score
Odor in front load washers is nothing new, in fact most people with them face the same problem. It usually boils down to two things, to much soap being used, and not enough warm/hot washes. (I sell and service appliances for a living, so I face this every day with my customers.) When I sell someone a front load machine, this is what I tell them:

1.) 1-2 tablespoons of H.E. detergent maximum. The level "1" mark in a Tide cap is about 2 tablespoons...never exceed that, ever.
2.) Powder detergent is recommended as it breaks down better than liquid, however...I use liquid Tide and it works perfectly.
3.) If you use liquid fabric softener, stop. Use dryer sheets or wool dryer balls. Liquid fabric softener gunks up a machine faster than anything.
4.) Choose warm washes more than cold. Cold water doesn't break the soap down enough and leaves more residue than warm water.
5.) Run a cleaner through the machine at least every other month (Washer Magic, Affresh, etc.) on a hot cycle, followed by another hot cycle to rinse the machine out.
6.) Once finished using the machine for the day, leave the door, and dispenser door open to dry out thoroughly. Wiping down the door gasket is also a good idea from time to time with a diluted vinegar or bleach solution.

These are all preventive maintenance solutions and should be practiced from day one. They may help a washer that smells, however in a lot of cases (and possibly yours unfortunately), the problem may be to far gone. Often the layer of gunk build up on the outer drum and outer shell of the inner drum of the machine is so thick that cleaners do not work, they simply cannot break down the layer. They may mask the odor, but the residue build up will remain and ultimately come back. We have already taken apart front load washers that have gunk build up so bad that you can scrape it off with a a putty knife. I would recommend running a few doses of "Washer Magic" back to back. The bottles are normally three doses (uses), but you can run one full bottle on the initial cleaning to really hit it hard, then run three more doses using a second bottle (normal 1/3 bottle doses) to complete the cleaning. I would then run another cycle after that to rinse the machine out (yes, you will be running the machine through 5 cycles back to back). Run the machine on the "Regular/Cotton" cycle set to HOT for all cleaning cycles.

Hope this helps!

Reach4

Reaction score
Why would a front loader have more problems with smells than a top loader? I can see that it is more convenient to leave the door open on a top loader.

Dan87

Reaction score
All "HE" (high efficiency) washers are susceptible to odor issues, top load and front; the reason is the low water usage. They use a fraction of the water that a traditional top loader used to. However, even current "traditional" top loaders today only have spray rinses instead of deep fill rinses for the default cycle. With all of these machines using less water, most people aren't reducing soap usage, thus, excess soap build up. Front loaders in particular are more likely because they are more sealed off than top loaders (door gasket), so less air is able to get in to dry them out, but also due to the horizontal axis, water never truly rinses out the entire drum as it can't get to the top of the outer drum, but the soap often travels up the sides and dries on. This is why most new washers have specific cleaning cycles built into them that use a higher level of water to reach those areas where water normally doesn't reach.

Wondering

Reaction score
I have read use Cascade Complete dishwasher detergent powder--1/2 to 1 cup no clothes heavy soil and hot wash to clean out the tub. The enzymes in the dish detergent helps clean out the washer, but it may take more than one treatment depending on how bad it is. I have also read, for a "super shock cleaning" add 1/4 cup dishwasher powder, 1/4 cup regular table salt, then add a load of old rags, towels and pour 1-2 gallon(depends on how bad machine smells) white vinegar over the towels, then start washer on longest hot wash. The salt adds ions that help clean machine and also helps rinse scum out of the drain lines. If you use liquid detergent now, switch to powder Tide and within a few loads you will see and smell a big difference. And as Dan said above, people use WAY too much soap in these machines. They treat them like the old style top loaders from years ago.

rubygilmore

Reaction score
Here's what I did for my smelly front-loading washing machine just a month ago.
  • Pour vinegar into a measuring cup and head over to your washing machine.
  • Mix together 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and add the mixture to the detergent container of washing machine and pour the vinegar into the drum.
  • Set washer to normal load at the hottest water setting.
  • Close the door and start the machine, letting it do all the hard work for you.
  • The baking soda and vinegar naturally break up mineral deposits and any mold growth while cleaning and refreshing your washing machine.
  • Use a clean scrubber to rub around the opening of the washing machine, removing stubborn mold or residue. Wipe clean with fresh water.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this applies to your machine, but happened to me. The gasket can hide loose items under it -- in our case, a dish sponge. I now make a point of running my hand under the gasket every so often.

aquest

Reaction score
I found myself at this forum because of the same problem with my 7 year old Bosch front loader. I used one of the suggestions above and I'm happy to say it worked!!! I used 1/4 C. Cascade dish (powder) detergent, 1/4 salt and a gallon of white vinegar on some old towels. I set it on sanitize cycle or the longest hottest cycle you have. I did it twice and the smell was gone. However, I decided to do a third cycle just to make sure. I'm going to switch to powder detergent and see if that help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From my experience, a powdered detergent, especially if you don't use the hot water cycle, can lead to issues. Hot water helps to dissolve the soap better. Clorox makes stuff specifically designed to help with front loading machine issues

https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-washing-machine-cleaner/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UCL_Products_Phrase&utm_term=Washing Machine Cleaning&utm_content=Products_Machine Cleaner
product-CLX-WMC-30oz-1011.png

My front loader has a silver ion function that, when activated during the wash cycle, releases some silver ions into the water. Silver is an effective bacterial, mold, virus inhibitor. That, along with leaving the door open overnight when I've finished a wash had keep mine smelling fine for years now. Eventually, that silver electrode gets used up, and I'll have to replace it, but it's lasted a long while so far.

Sapote

Reaction score
I had tried a few methods such as bleach, hot water cycles as suggested, but the bad smell came back the next wash a week later.
So what is really happening here?
The root cause: after the washing finished, there is always a few cups of water remains in the machine drain pan, as the pump cannot get all of the water out. This residual water will be smelly after 3 or 4 days, depending on the room temperature as bacteria developed in the water. Unless the machine being used everyday, you will always have the smelly water in the machine bottom and this is a fact of life.
How to solve this problem?
Add 2 gallons of cold tap water in the basket, then run the Soak cycle a few minutes and then Drain. This will get rid most of the smelly water. Do this every time before adding clothes and wash. You have fixed the problem.
Enjoy the new fresh clean clothes!

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello there,
I wasn't sure where to post this question so I hope here is OK. I've had a Bosch front loader washing machine for about 5 years. It's a WFMC2201UC/12 machine. I've cleaned it out the best I can without taking the whole thing apart but it still smells terrible (so bad that we leave the laundry room window open and door closed). The clothes come out smelling like mold. I've taken the screen out of the lower bottom on the right and cleaned it. All the hoses are covered on the insides coming and going from the drain screen with gray slime. I've run a number of cycles with just bleech.

Do you have thoughts on how to clean this thing, other than taking all the drain hoses out and running brushes through them? Thanks.

check the seal. follow your nose to zero in on odor. If not the seal, You may have to take the housing off and hit it with a pressure washer.

Sapote

Reaction score
After a final spin, there is still some liquid insde the bottom pan, so after a few days it will have a smell due to bacteria, naturally. So before adding a new load to wash, I just dump in the basket drum couple gallon of water, wash 10 sec, then drain. Repeat again, then it's ready to wash a new load and no more bad smell on the clothes.

Don't waste your time cleaning with vinega as it will smell again shortly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks