Sticky Mansfield 160 Flush Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Wallskev

Reaction score
I have 3 toilets with extremely sticky Mansfield Flush Valves on 160 Toilets after 6 years.

I read somewhere that this is caused by suction and bad gaskets after use of chlorine in the tanks. (My wife does that before we leave on trips due to growth in the tanks) ?

1. Should I replace the whole Valve or just the Gasket ? :confused:
2. If replacing the parts, Should I use :confused:
A. Fludimaster
B. BLUESOURCE HYDROKIT TOILET REPAIR WITH DUAL FLUSH CONVERTER
C. Replacement Mansfield mechanisms ?
D. Other recommendations.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Repair parts for internal seals of a fill valve are generally not generic...you'd need ones made specifically for that valve. If a toilet is not designed for dual flush, don't try to make it into one as it rarely works well. If your toilet can accept a replacement fill valve, I'd use either a Korky Quiet-Fill or a Fluidmaster and replace the whole valve. If you can get exact replacement parts for the existing valve, using those should fix it. Keep in mind that long-term use of chlorine products in the tank WILL destroy all rubber parts - not only gaskets but the flapper valve and maybe other seals in the toilet.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The poster is saying "flush valve". Does he mean "fill valve"? Or not?

"Sticky" I thought meant that it was hard to flush, so maybe we need some clarification about what the problem is.

Replace it with Korky products. Korky 528 Fill Valve and Korky Plus flapper in the proper size. www.korky.com

And tell your wife to knock off the Clorox Tablets. Particularly if you're doing it while being away for a long time. The tablet instructions themselves say that if the toilet isn't flushed X times per day,t he concentration of the bleach solution will be damaging. And that's from Clorox.

If she really wants some BOWL cleaner to be auto-dispensed (no need to worry about the appearance inside the tank...I mean really NO need), she can get one of those systems that runs the refill water over a tablet in a box and then down the refill tube. That keeps it away from all the rubber seals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks