Sticking down pipes ???

Users who are viewing this thread

HWMonkey

Reaction score
I have a jet pump - what I would term a deep well jet pump for it has a 1 1/4 line and 1" line. Presumably, there is a venturi/ejector thingy attached to these two pipes, and a foot valve at the bottom. The well seal was in need of replacement (not leaking/contaminating yet, but bolts rusting to the point of crumbling). Yes, it is in a pit, on a hill, with good drainage. I am NOT contemplating changing pumps at this time.

The down pipes are black plastic. Since the seal is in need of replacement, I wanted to check the foot valve, venturi, and screen for maintenance/replacement. So, I went to pull the down pipes, and they are sticking.

I used a come-a-long to raise the pipes (simultaneously) about 2 feet. I took a pair of 2x4's and made a clamp to keep the two pipes from falling all the way down if something were to happen (my kind of luck).

So, how do I get these suckers out?:confused: Moreover, why are they so stuck?:confused: The casing is only 4", but shouldn't the foot valve only be a couple inches and the same thing with the venturi?:confused: I can imagine a little build up on the casing (steel), but enough to really grab the pipes?

I may have to shove it back down and worry about it another day, but I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance,
HWM

HWMonkey

Reaction score
Hmm. Bouncing the pipes up and down and turning them allows them to move some. Of course, it also provides action for the foot valve and makes a huge mess, plus adds weight to the piping as it refills with water. I have been able to raise it about 4 feet. It is like it gets hung up on build up on the casing. But when it moves, it feels like it has an inch of play for I can twist it and bounce it around. Of course, this is just a guess, because it is obviously still submerged in water, so it may only have an 1/8 inch or something. ;)

Bottom line: should I continue the battle trying to get the line out to check/clean? I bet the lines are not more than 30 feet. I am not real keen on the idea of attaching it to the ATV and pulling, for I worry the poly-line will break and I will be SOL.

New question: I have no check valves above the well. Obviously I have a foot valve. Should I bother adding them? If so, what is the benefit

HWMonkey

Reaction score
Bottom line: should I continue the battle trying to get the line out to check/clean?
Anyone?
New question: I have no check valves above the well. Obviously I have a foot valve. Should I bother adding them? If so, what is the benefit
Disregard this one. I missed the sticky on this subject. The opinion here is DO NOT add check valves.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I didn't see mention of brand of pump, but my guess is that it is a convertible, and that the jet assembly (as pictured) was removed from the pump and put down the well. Those have very little clearance and as you found out is getting hung up on mineral buildup. You could take the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, or you can work at it until it is broke and then you will have to fix it.

Get a short length of pipe that has an OD slightly less than the ID of the casing and make it into something resembling a hole saw. Weld a 3/4" coupler to the top inside edge of it. Fashion coarse teeth on the bottom of it with an outward set. Run it down the well using steel pipe, turning it only clockwise as you go.

a20792b130745cd862c058_m.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks