Sterling Toilet Drips Into Bowl W/New Flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Toilet bowl was dripping at rear of bowl. I cleaned the seat of the flapper opening and replaced it. Still dripping. I observed that it bowl drips even when the water level is below the flapper opening. Could this be the gasket below the overflow assembly or something different? It is a sterling toilet and I'm not sure of the flapper brand, but it performs the same way with the old and new flapper and as mentioned even with the water level below the flapper opening level.

Thanks for any replies

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like you may need to take the tank off and tighten the big nut on the bottom. But, first, make sure it isn't leaking from the bolt holes that hold the tank to the bowl. The big gasket between the tank and the bowl could be bad, but that's fairly uncommon...usually it's just not tight or the nut is loose.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It could be a number of different things.

New flapper not installed properly.

Bowl refill tube inserted too far into the overflow tube.

Fill valve not set or working properly running over the top of the overflow.

just to name a few of the possibilities...

My top choices would be the flush valve gasket where the flush valve connects to the tank is all puckered up and preventing the flapper from seating correctly. this is very common on Kohler and Sterling toilets. You can trim the puckered part away with a single edge razor blade.

Another top choice of mine is you are using a flapper that has an adjustable float and it sets to light on the flush valve to get a good seat. I like to use the Korky # 16BP with the timer built into the flapper myself it closes harder IMHO.

bigmtk

Monkey wrench operator
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a new flush valve gasket. Since you've got the tank off to replace that, install a new tank to bowl kit as well . No sense in having to keep messing with it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A standard 2" flapper does not cover on the Sterling.

The original part number is 84554 for the blue flapper
The original part number is 1110261 for the 1.28 gpf flapper
Coast 1079949

Tank 404215
Sterling GP87449 Flapper replaces 84879 Sterling Flapper and 85074 Sterling Flapper

Coast 1079949 The Original Flapper That Replaces 84879 Sterling Flapper and 85074 Sterling Flapper

Now the question is, who carries these oversized flappers?
Like bigmtk says, it may be easier to just replace the entire flushvalve with a Fluidmaster replacement.

sterling_flapper.jpg

sterling-flapper.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks