Sterling kit needs exact stud locations? (pics added)

Users who are viewing this thread

bryanska

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm installing the Sterling Ensemble Medley tub with three piece surround.

Because of existing plumbing for an adjacent laundry room, the stud locations in the 60" pocket are not at the exact locations specified in the instructions.

There are lots of studs, just not at the specified locations. I do have the specified studs at the corners and ends.

For%252520Web%252520-%252520Overview.png

For%252520Web%252520-%252520Spec%252520Stud%252520Spacing.png

For%252520Web%252520-%252520Here%252527s%252520What%252520I%252520can%252520Do.png

I can certainly add cabinet blocking in that red zone, like this:

350px-KitchenBlocking.JPG

In essence, then do I need vertical studs in that red zone?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You would get a better answer if you can post some pics.

Right now I am trying to imagine it, and like Homer Simpson, all I see is donuts and not what you describe.

But if you don't want to provide pics, then an answer for you might be: add as many studs as you need, studs certainly won't hurt an install of your one piece acrylic shower-tub.
article-2006496-002A89A100000258-114_233x315.jpg
bbb06043.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHY do the studs have to be so precise for the Sterling surround. Usually all that is required is that there be studs somewhere behind it to anchor to.

bryanska

Reaction score
WHY do the studs have to be so precise for the Sterling surround. Usually all that is required is that there be studs somewhere behind it to anchor to.

I dunno. Having never installed one of these, I wasn't about to play around.

Would 2x4 blocking be fine in the areas where I can't get a stud? I think I can just do that. Any dissenters?

Reaction score
Go ahead and add a $10-20 of extra studs and blocking of untreated pine if it will give you peace.

You're spending an awful amount of time to want a perfect workmanship on installing a low-cost acrylic drop-in.

Drop-in's and one pieces aren't new. They are cheap. They have low manufacturing cost, so retailers can sell for large profits.

One thing they have all proven, they all end up cracking, splitting, doing something to break within a decade or two, usually sooner.

Landlords love these to impress new tenants.

There's a reason why Kholer Sterling vs. Kholer Enamel Cast Iron tubs cost as much as they do. Same reason why Kerapoxy grouted tiles over Schluter Kerdi-boards cost as much as the contractor quotes you.
zaa16899.jpg

Reaction score
I recently installed a Sterling tub and surround which is similar to yours.

It was an extremely frustrating experience and I said never again.

I called Sterling several times for advice during the process and I was told that in order for the walls to mate with the tub and connect together correctly, the plumb of the vertical 2x4's HAD to be within one credit card thickness of being perfect.

The multitude of 2x4's that they show in their directions are for the clips to attach to the tub perimeter, and for screwing into the top of the surround. Almost none of my existing 2x4's were in those locations, so I simply added the needed ones into the alcove and left the existing ones standing as-is.

The frustration is when trying to do your "dry runs" to check for level etc. with the tub in place before the final install, the clearance is so tight that it's very difficult to jockey it in and out.

Further, Sterling did a terrible job of finishing the edges where the surround pieces interlock, so there were areas that needed to be shaved and cleaned off at the edges, or else they didn't mate in the grooves properly. It is imperative that you check the fit before your final install.

Be sure and bed that thing in mortar, or else it will squeek and flex, and in time I would expect that it will crack. I could feel much movement before I put it in the final mortar bed.

Good luck.

Bluegrass Picker

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For most any tub except CI ones, it really helps the longevity and 'feel' if you properly support the bottom with mortar or a similar compound. Otherwise, the flex will eventually cause the thing to fail and maybe leak prior to that because a seam opens up. If it is properly embedded, and assuming you don't use an abrasive cleaner, it should last a very long time. As with many things in the building trades, the prep work can take a lot of time, and when n0t down well, lead to frustrations and less than ideal situations later on. Just try to put up your trim when things are not plumb or level...makes that job far more time consuming than it would have been had the proper prep work been done.

IMHO, Kohler can make some nice looking stuff, but they don't often have their head out of the clouds when they design it for actual installation in the real world by real people. As a result, the finished product once installed may not meet your needs or desires, or be a major pain to install in the first place.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Further, Sterling did a terrible job of finishing the edges where the surround pieces interlock, so there were areas that needed to be shaved and cleaned off at the edges, or else they didn't mate in the grooves properly. It is imperative that you check the fit before your final install,
Bluegrass Picker

I've had to trim the panels to make them fit. It was a surprise to find that. A knife and a flat file were helpful.
The stud diagram says "typical". Like hj mentioned, close is good enough. The clips can slide on the tub to be placed where you do have a stud.
The kit comes with a felt pad, and if the floor is flat, should be fine. With some out of level floors, the mortar is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks