Sterling Accord bathtub, installation with pictures

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by tubdummy, Jul 18, 2010.

1. tubdummy

tubdummy New Member

I am looking for an inexpensive update for my condo bathroom. I purchased the Aquaglass Eleganza, but the surround was cracked. When I looked online to see if my Lowe's had another in stock, the reviews caught my eye. They were horrible, particularly for the tub. 68 out of 69 reviews said the tub cracked in less than a year. So, when I return the cracked surround I'll be leaving the tub in the store, too. I looked at the Sterling Accord at the depot, but I can't find any reviews for this product. Does anyone have any knowledge or first-hand experience with this tub/shower surround? Thanks!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Sterling has been in use for years.
    It's a good product.
  3. tubdummy

tubdummy New Member

It says it is caulk-less and the pieces just snap together. I'm nervous about it leaking. Part of the reason for this update is that the old tub/shower leaked resulting in a hole in my living room ceiling. Does it really work without caulk? If you caulk it, will that cause any kind of damage to the product? Thanks so much for your help! This has caused me a lot of angst, so I really appreciate the advice.
  4. Terry

The Sterling tub shower and shower units don't require caulking, they snap together.

There must be thousands and thousands of them installed without caulk, and there is no way they could leak. Just no way.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. Terry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old tub was a tile with steel tub and a Delta 600 faucet.

[​IMG]

For starters, how about a pressure balanced Delta Valve

[​IMG]

A little shimming, a little mortar mix.

[​IMG]

Pop the back wall in.

[​IMG]

The pivot in the faucet side panel and trim it out.
  6. Terry

[​IMG]

Drywall will need to be added.

[​IMG]

We need to caulk the valve now.

[​IMG]

Now it would be nice to finish up with a new floor.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013