Stenner pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

diggity

Reaction score
So I'm trying to install a Stenner pump for soda ash injection and I'm confused about the wiring. I understand that it's supposed to be wired in to the pressure switch somehow, but I'm not sure how. (Frankly, I was under the impression that it would have a relay circuit, so that the pressure switch would trigger it, but not power it per se. But apparently that's not the way it works, as the pump only has one wire, and that is the 110 volt plug). So how do I wire this thing in? Do I have to cut the plug off the power cord? And then how do I attach it to the pressure switch? And did I order the wrong model? The one I have is for 110 volt, but I think my well is probably on a 220 circuit, right? Should I have gotten the 220 volt model instead? Sorry for all the questions - I'm totally unsure how to proceed. Any assistance is appreciated - thanks in advance!

IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 249

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You will either need to cut the plug off or wire a female electrical outlet to the pressure switch. You just connect to one of the hot wires coming off the pressure switch to the pump, and ground the other wire to get 110V, and it will only have 110 power when the pressure switch is made and also running the well pump.

diggity

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Valveman. So if I'm understanding this right, I could get a short extension cord and cut off the male plug (to avoid having to cut the wire on my brand new pump) and then splice the wires... how? Like this?

Xtension (white wire) ---> Presure switch (white wire)
Xtension (black wire) ---> to what?
XTension (ground) ---> Presumably this would be spliced to the ground on the pressure switch?

Thanks again.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah yes. The neutral wire for 110 volt. It has to be wired back to the neutral bar in the breaker panel. It is not present in the pressure switch, because a neutral wire in not needed for 220 volts. The neutral wire and the ground wire have to be kept separate all the way back to the service entrance, where they are bonded together. This is per the NEC (National Electric Code).

I am in the middle of rewiring a brand new pump house because the homeowner tried to do it himself. He forgot to pull a neutral wire from the main panel. If I'm just wiring to a 220 volt pump, I don't need a neutral. However a pump house requires the neutral wire. This is because a 110 volt outlet, interior light, and exterior light are required by the NEC. Also since it freezes here, I have to install heat, which can be either 110 or 220 volt.

diggity

Reaction score
Ho boy... I can't easily run any wires back to the panel because it goes through walls. Does this mean I should send the 110 Stenner pump back and exchange it for a 220?

diggity

Reaction score
By the way, there is a 110 outlet not far from where the Stenner is going to be located. So can I do this?

Xtension (white wire, neutral) ---> 110 outlet (white)
Xtension (black wire, hot) ---> Pressure switch (either white or black)
XTension (ground) ---> 110 outlet ground

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks